Laptop question

im thinking about getting a hp 17.3 pavilion dv7, it has a AMD Quad-Core A6-3400M processor 2.3GHz, 4mb L2 Cache, would that be a good gaming laptop?

This is just me, but when I have the notion of either building for myself or one of my clients a gaming rig, I have to factor in what is going to be around the processor as well, kind of to help it along while it's playing a game. Factors like how much system RAM is in the computer, what type of video solution and the GPU and video RAM stats are in there as well. And very small, almost non important stuff I take into consideration, like how fast is the hard drive, 6400, 6800, 7200 RPM, stuff like that I factor in as well. I'm sure most people here might tell you that you'd probably be fine gaming on the AMD 2.3 Gig processor, but I'm not one of those people. I prefer to either buy "store bought" or make "home built" gaming systems for myself and clients with at least a minimum of a 3.0 Gig processor in it.

I'm sure you might be fine, but I like having more power at my finger tips when it comes to a gaming rig!

This is just me, but when I have the notion of either building for myself or one of my clients a gaming rig, I have to factor in what is going to be around the processor as well, kind of to help it along while it's playing a game. Factors like how much system RAM is in the computer, what type of video solution and the GPU and video RAM stats are in there as well. And very small, almost non important stuff I take into consideration, like how fast is the hard drive, 6400, 6800, 7200 RPM, stuff like that I factor in as well. I'm sure most people here might tell you that you'd probably be fine gaming on the AMD 2.3 Gig processor, but I'm not one of those people. I prefer to either buy "store bought" or make "home built" gaming systems for myself and clients with at least a minimum of a 3.0 Gig processor in it.

I'm sure you might be fine, but I like having more power at my finger tips when it comes to a gaming rig!

well heres some specs on this laptop
it has a AMD Radeon HD 6520G graphics card
6GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
640GB SATA hard drive

Well I did a little research on the video solution that comes with the computer, and in regards to the video, I think your going to be fine for gaming with it. 6 Gigs of system RAM, that's a no brainer, your going to be in good shape there! And a SATA hard drive, no problems there either, your doing fine! In my professional opinion, your going to be fine playing regular resource intensive games on that laptop. Old games like say maybe Quake III Arena will dominate and shine like a new penny on the laptop. Slightly newer games than Quake, like maybe Call of Duty 4 "Modern Warfare" will be just fine with the game on it's low to medium, maybe even it's high resource settings. But you throw a game like "Crysis" on it, you had better have that game set at it's lowest resource settings or your laptop might "buy the farm"!

But all in all I think even with that AMD 2.3 Gig processor you will be fine! Go ahead and buy it, play games to your hearts content, play the old games with the greatest of ease, play the couple years old stuff with confidence. But just be a little careful with the "cutting edge" stuff, for the cutting edge stuff could be like a big fat pig in the barn that wants to get big, fat and happy by eating up all your systems resources!

Happy gaming! :)

Back