Laptop randomly freezing up

chukmane

i have a Compaq, windows 7 laptop ive had my laptop for about a little bit under a year now maybe 9 or 10 months , my laptop recently started acting up about 5 months ago , it was running sluggishly and also while using my laptop for about an hour it would suddenly begin to get glitchy and when i move my mouse the cursor would move little by little very slowly and glitchy for about 30 seconds then the laptop will completely freeze , i thought it was a malware problem so ran some programs that was told to me by a professional on my computer , after that my computer sped up and was working smoothly the pop-ups went away , but still my laptop randomly freezes i have to hold the power button down to reboot it when it freezes and when i start it back up it stays on the windows start up screen and glitches while the windows logo builds up for a very long time maybe 15 minutes then when the windows logo finally builds up it freezes and doesn't go past that , i do the same thing to reboot it for a third time and the laptop works perfectly fine and there's no problem , later in the day maybe week the same thing occurs, i believe it is a heating problem and want to find a way to fix it , please bear with me i don't know a lot about computers and laptops

thanks for reading

Can you tell us what you ran to remove the Malware and what it found.

Have you run any other software to try and diagnose the problem?

Please install this software CoreTemp and tell me what temperatures it is showing when the PC is running with no other software or internet browser open.

Ok, I've followed the link you gave and see Broni has done a thorough check for Malware and a clean up.

Once you have the Core Temp software installed, let the PC rest for 10 minutes and tell me what temp it shows.

That seems a bit on the hot side, should be nearer to 35ºC. What does it go up to when running Video or playing a game?

Have you had this PC from new or was it second hand?

bought it brand new , now it shows 43 degrees and where it says Min. it says 30 degrees and where it says Max. it reads 70 degrees

Ok, those temps are within acceptable limits, some laptops do run a little warm but as it is not rising too high when running video the temps are unlikely to be the problem.

the longer i use it the higher the temp
How high does it get after an hour or so?

Run this and post the log:

• Click on Start > type cmd in the search box. A box will open with CMD at the top, right click on it and select Run as Administrator. Another box will open, at the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press enter. (Note the gap between the k and the /)
  • You will then see the following message:
  • chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
  • Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode.
  • chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish, if it appears to freeze this is normal so do not interrupt it.)
  • chkdsk finds any corrupted files and fixes them. Read the results of each phase as it finishes. During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files. It will also report on finding any bad sectors on the hard drive, these will be blocked from further use and the data on them moved.
  • When the Disk Check is done, it will finish loading Windows.

Then follow this guide to find the chkdsk log.
Windows 7 Disk Check log

Once the log is in view then click on Copy in the right hand pane and select "Copy details as text".
You can then right click on the message box on this forum and select Paste and the log will appear, add any further information asked for and then click on Submit/Post Quick Reply and your done.

i have did the chkdsk thing but when i rebooted my laptop it loaded back normally , i think i skipped the part where you were talking about To run on an external drive use chkdsk C: /r replace the C: with the appropriate drive letter. im not sure if thatts the problem

You must have missed something if it rebooted without running the disk check, try going through it again.

This part:
NOTE To run on an external drive use chkdsk C: /r replace the C: with the appropriate drive letter.
Is only to be followed for running the disk check on an external USB drive. As you are running this on an internal drive you can ignore it.

No need to apologise, it is wise to ask if you do not understand something or you won't learn :).

If you are referring to the part I put in a quote box in my last post, as I explained, you can ignore it unless you are running the disk check on an external drive.

An external hard drive would be in a seperate box that is connected to the PC with a cable and a USB plug attached to the PC.

I would suggest you print out the instructions so you can follow them easily when they are not on the screen.

Please ask if you are stuck on anything else and give full details of anything that doesn't go how the instructions say it should.

It's 2AM where I am so will be turning in for the night. I'll be back in the morning GMT+1.

Take your time with the instructions and see how it goes.

That's fine, to make it easier for you I have edited the instructions in post 13 and removed the part about an external drive, just follow the instructions as they are now.

i am done with checking the disk now im on the last part , i have opened th dskvwr ibut im stuck on number 5 , it says copy and past chkdsk into the box i am doing it but no log is showing up , whenever i type find next it loads then nothing happens after about 3 times a box with a paragraph shows up saying that it shows no files for chkdsk

Instead of searching for chkdsk use wininit

The instructions may have mislead you. You only search for chkdsk if the disk check was run from within Windows, when run at startup the log has the name wininit

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Date: 3/13/2012 6:47:23 PM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Touchi-HP
Description:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
261888 file records processed.

File verification completed.
452 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

43 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
330812 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
261888 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 413 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 413 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 413 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
34463 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35768448 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
261872 files processed.

File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
41931558 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

225825791 KB total disk space.
57637072 KB in 171272 files.
91440 KB in 34464 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
371047 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
167726232 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
56456447 total allocation units on disk.
41931558 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 ff 03 00 b4 23 03 00 73 91 05 00 00 00 00 00 .....#..s.......
be 01 00 00 2b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....+...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Wininit" Guid="{206f6dea-d3c5-4d10-bc72-989f03c8b84b}" EventSourceName="Wininit" />
<EventID Qualifiers="16384">1001</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-13T23:47:23.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>18124</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Touchi-HP</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
261888 file records processed.

File verification completed.
452 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

43 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
330812 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
261888 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 413 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 413 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 413 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
34463 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35768448 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
261872 files processed.

File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
41931558 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

225825791 KB total disk space.
57637072 KB in 171272 files.
91440 KB in 34464 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
371047 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
167726232 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
56456447 total allocation units on disk.
41931558 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 ff 03 00 b4 23 03 00 73 91 05 00 00 00 00 00 .....#..s.......
be 01 00 00 2b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....+...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Good work, the disk check has come up clean, now please run the system file checker and attach the log. Follow these instructions.

• Click on Start and type cmd in the search box. Right click on cmd in the popup menu and select Run as Administrator.
  • Another box will open, at the Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. (Note the gap between the c and the /)
  • Let the check run to completion.

To find the log
  • Copy & Paste the following command at the Command Prompt and press Enter:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

• This will place a file on your desktop called sfcdetails.txt which contains the results of the scan.
  • Zip up the file and attach it to your next post.

Back