Laptop won't charge

By nubian13 ยท 13 replies
Dec 30, 2009
  1. I was watchin a movie on my laptop and then suddenly the power went off i looked at the cord and the led was out so i think since i plugged it into the wall i was running on batterys power and when i tried disconnecting it and connecting it. but it wont turn on. before i plug it into the laptop the led on the charger works perfectly and when i plug it into the laptop the led comes of on the charger. and the laptop still wont charge. What seems to be the problem.
  2. strategic

    strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

    I've come across this problem before and found the ac adapter (the charger) to be faulty.
    Try a different one.
  3. nubian13

    nubian13 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 89

    well that seems to be the problem but that comes to a next problem. is that this is the second adapter thats become faulty and i don't know what to do
  4. tipstir

    tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,473   +126

    Are you using OEM power supply? I would replace the battery also. You might have a bad power supply regulator on the motherboard. That could short out the power supply and cause memory issues with the battery also. I would have that laptop check out by a service tech if you're still under warranty?
  5. hhhh0530

    hhhh0530 TS Rookie

    try a different power cord
  6. hhhh0530

    hhhh0530 TS Rookie

    or try a different battery
  7. hhhh0530

    hhhh0530 TS Rookie

    try different combos ...... emiliate one of them power cord or battery
  8. Jonah1999

    Jonah1999 TS Rookie

    Ditto- Toshiba Satellite Pro

    Hey, I've got a Toshiba Satellite Pro, I changed the power cable, 3 times in the last year and the battery too. I've come to the conclusion that it must be the power supply connection, as why else would it kill every cable used. I even use other people's cables still the intermittent flicking between battery and AC supply, but never consistently enough to charge.

    Can I charge via a USB port? Are there chargers that can do this?

    What do i do? I love my laptop and don't want it to die.

  9. Tedster

    Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,002   +15

    no you cannot charge via the USB. You either have a bad charger, or a bad voltage regulator. The former is a more common problem.
  10. strategic

    strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

    Jonah1999, you should honestly start a new thread for your problem to eliminate confusion.
    Just like Tedster states, you can't charge through USB, it doesn't have the required voltage output.
    I have worked on many HP's / Compaq's where the DC jack on the PC was faulty (came loose).
    Also worked on a Toshiba {1} which had a faulty cable (between charger and PC-could be common with any computer) from continuously wrapping the cables when packing.

    From this information, hopefully you can come up with your own judgment as to what the issue is.
    If you think it may be the DC jack, you should be very careful because you could easily fry your motherboard.
  11. Jonah1999

    Jonah1999 TS Rookie

    I think it is the DC jack- but can you clarify what one is? so I can definitely be sure.

    What can be done? It has got to a fairly serious stage, as my friend was sensing light-electric shocks whenever the laptop is charging.

    Thanks for the help
  12. strategic

    strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

    If your friend is getting shocks, chances are it's the cable from the (pc to the adapter).
    Is there any sharp bends in the wire or do you feel anything throughtout the length of it?
  13. Jonah1999

    Jonah1999 TS Rookie

    Could the problem be both, the cable and the DC jack (whatever this is)?

    As I mentioned in a prior post that even woth another cable there is still the intermittent flickign between the battery and AC supply but not long enough to charge the Laptop
  14. strategic

    strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

    Yes, it could very well be either or both.
    You should have somebody look at it before you damage the computer.
    Those shocks may hurt it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...