Largest DVD Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. Commercially, is there a DVD (not Blu-Ray) that is 30gb or higher? Having an argument, and can't find the answer anywhere. The argument is whether or not MG4 can fit on a DVD to get ported to the 360...

I thought so (to clarify things here, I posted the topic from a friends laptop and forgot it was him logged in. XD). He was claiming that there was "commercially available" dvd's that could hold much larger amounts, so of course after googling and coming up with all information I knew already, I had to come here and ask. Thanks raybay for clarifying!

I don't believe there is, DVD and HDDVD/Bluray are similar enough in principle though I imagine that perhaps back in like 2002 or something some guy in 1 article may have made reference to an ultra high capacity DVD. Just that now they are called HDDVD or Bluray.

I don't even know if you can break the DVD barriers like you can on CDs (overburning). I would think that you could, but I've never heard of anyone doing it.

Yes, that is probably exactly what happened. I knew in the back of my head that there probably wasn't one, but then again I am not nieve enough to think it wasn't at all possible without at least researching.

In concurrence with sngx and (oddly enough) raybay, 30GB is definitely not happening on DVDs. With DVD-RAM, you can get up to 9.4GB, but DVD-RAM is an odd and rarely used format. With Dual-layer DVD, you can get up to 8.5GB. An impressive amount on its own, but certainly nowhere near what hi-def media can take.

The difference isn't so much the physical disks or the dyes used on them, but rather then size of the pits and grooves burned and read by the DVD's laser. It's almost the same reason that CDs have such a smaller capacity as compared to DVDs. Narrower beamwidths on the lasers means more capacity. Change that, and you've changed what sort of media you are using. There is really nothing all that magically different between the physical media itself.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_layer_dvd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd-ram

Yeah, I looked on WIki and everything, but like I said, I was thinking he may be right, and there was a commercially available DVD above 9.4GB.

Yeh. I agree with what has been said. I just think that maybe the dude heard something about it years and years ago, so he maybe wasn't full of crap. Its just that now its called something else, because the actual physics of storing data on a cd like disc aren't much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back