LastPass now offered for free on mobile devices, but there's a catch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the benefits of LastPass Premium is the ability to sync login credentials across all platforms including mobile devices. This handy feature comes at a cost – $12 per year, to be exact. That’s not a ton of money but then again, it’s not free, either.

Considering that many people now rely solely on a smartphone or tablet for Internet access, LastPass is now offering an alternative that allows you to use the service on mobile absolutely free… but there’s a catch.

New LastPass users can indeed use the service via mobile free of charge – the catch being that they need to start using it on mobile. So, wherever you get started, you can use LastPass on that device and any others of the same type – desktop, tablet or smartphone – for free.

It’s a smart move on LastPass’ part. Now, mobile-only users have a free option that works for them without diminishing LastPass’ Premium membership benefits (after all, they are a business and the goal is to make money).

As I mentioned, stepping up to the Premium membership allows you to sync across any device and any platform as often as you’d like. It’s still the ideal option for security-conscious individuals of both desktops and mobile devices. There’s also an Enterprise tier at $24 per year, per person should you need to protect your entire workforce.

Permalink to story.

Sorry, I didn't get this:

the catch being that they need to start using it on mobile. So, wherever you get started, you can use LastPass on that device and any others of the same type – desktop, tablet or smartphone – for free.

What is exactly the catch?

Sorry, I didn't get this:

the catch being that they need to start using it on mobile. So, wherever you get started, you can use LastPass on that device and any others of the same type – desktop, tablet or smartphone – for free.

What is exactly the catch?
it is only free if you start with it on the mobile device, and all of your other devices are running the same OS. That is what I understood from the article.

And they got hacked...sounds like a great service to put all your login credentials onto.

Nothing taken, but just in case, change your master password. Encrypted vaults were not affected and changing the master password disables any possible attempt they might have had to get deeper into any account. Which changing once in a while is a good practice anyhow. I do it yearly anyhow myself. I have yet to find a better password organizer. It lets me use real passwords (random letter/number/capital/symbol) combinations for each site reliably and safely. And should something bad happen, I can change all of them.

And they got hacked...sounds like a great service to put all your login credentials onto.

Nothing taken, but just in case, change your master password.
That won't help, as the hackers would have made off with your password-vault which was encrypted with your *old* master password. Changing the password you're using on *your* copy of the vault doesn't change the encryption on the vault that hackers could have made off with.

That won't help, as the hackers would have made off with your password-vault which was encrypted with your *old* master password. Changing the password you're using on *your* copy of the vault doesn't change the encryption on the vault that hackers could have made off with.

Yeah because if you have two neurons like normal people do that are actually worried about security enough to use software to enhance protection over your accounts, you might have used something not easy to brute force into, or who knows, maybe even 2 step authentication, just sayin'

Yeah because if you have two neurons like normal people do that are actually worried about security enough to use software to enhance protection over your accounts, you might have used something not easy to brute force into, or who knows, maybe even 2 step authentication, just sayin'
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, here. This started when roberthi pointed out that, of all of the password-vaults you could put all of your sensitive data into, it might not be a great choice to go with a company which has suffered an intrusion and possible data theft.

Then, SirGCal responded by implying that such a breach is easily remedied by just changing one's master password. I tried to clarify that changing the master password doesn't change the password on the copy that the thieves have. Instead, your best bet is to change all of the password contained within the vault long before you expect the thieves to be able to crack their copy of your vault... thereby rendering the contents of their copy of the vault worthless.

Sure, two-step auth is a prudent idea, but that doesn't change the facts that: 1) changing your master password after a vault theft isn't going to help, and 2) having your vault get into evil hands (whether you use two-factor auth or not) reduces your security.

True @jemenake sorry for being so blunt. The thing is no one actually commented on what really mattered, 2-step auth is the solution, even if they crack and get your password without the other key it's not much use. Also, to bruteforce an actual secure password (And it's not that hard to do real "random" with the help of visual clues) it would take a long long time.

Also having 2 step on your other independent things work wonders.

My point was, anyone actually worried about security wouldn't be kept on these tiny things.

Back