Latest Nvidia GeForce Experience update fixes Windows 11 22H2 game performance issues

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: Nvidia has responded to the game performance issues caused by the Windows 11 22H2 update reported last week. The company has confirmed that its Nvidia GeForce Experience software is behind the problems, but updating to the latest Beta release will resolve them.

Microsoft started rolling out the Windows 11 2022 update, also known as the 22H2 update, in over 190 countries last week, introducing several upgrades and new features to the company's most recent operating system. But there were also some unwelcome additions.

As is always the case with updates, Windows 11 22H2 caused system issues for some users, including Blue Screens of Death during the installation process. There has also been a slew of reports from those who installed 22H2 claiming the update has caused unstable framerates in games—one person said the slowdown was so bad that their games were unplayable. We also heard that G-Sync and game audio were being impacted.

The 22H2 game performance issues only appeared in PCs powered by Nvidia GPUs. Now, team green has confirmed that the Nvidia GeForce Experience app is the cause, though it never went into detail.

Nvidia writes that the solution—other than uninstalling the 22H2 update—is to upgrade the GeForce Experience to the latest v3.26 release. There are two ways to do this: manually download the v.3.26 installer, which you can do using this executable, and install the software.

The other way to update the app is from within the GeForce Experience itself. This can be done by going into the Settings sections and selecting "Enable Experimental Features." Nvidia recommends closing the program, waiting 30 seconds, then restarting, which will automatically update the app to the latest version.

Nvidia writes that the non-Beta version of GeForce Experience 3.26 is expected to go live sometime this week. It adds 8K 60FPS HDR ShadowPlay Recording for the upcoming RTX 4000 cards, optimal settings for 51 games, and other bug fixes.

Windows 11 22H2 adds an updated Start menu, better search, and a revamped File Explorer. Microsoft is also adding improved security and gaming-focused tools. Check out all the changes in this article.

Permalink to story.

So, it seems it was more Nvidia s fault, than Microsoft update.
Even so, because Nvidia drivers are always ”legendary” perfect, better to blame Microsoft, otherwise Nvidia will take another hard blow to their ”reputation”.
P.S. Jensen Huang was caught still rehearsing in front of a mirror how to pronounce correctly 4070 instead of 4080 12GB, but no progress so far.

Last edited:
How did you come to that conclusion?
Before update > Geforce Experience working well, no performance issues
After update > Geforce Experience damaging gaming performance

It seems to me Microsoft updated something that Nvidia was using and its expected behaviour changed.

Although I can see how you could blame Nvidia as you assume these companies are testing out these major Windows updates in a beta form months before they go live to public.

From Nvidia FAQ:
"What is GeForce Experience?

GeForce Experience is the companion application to your GeForce graphics card. It keeps your drivers up to date, automatically optimizes your game settings, and gives you the easiest way to share your greatest gaming moments with friends."

Never installed this software before because of the auto updates and settings change without me knowing. And also requires a user account. No thanks.

I'll never run a driver that demands my personal information in order to unlock features.
It's not a driver. It's the app. And yes, you've had apps that had bugs and needed to be updated. You don't need to do anything here, just wait for the official update when it drops this week. Otherwise, if you're having a problem you can download the beta which might help. I don't really see a downside here.

I'm pretty certain I remember Nvidia going on record bashing AMD for releasing beta drivers that haven't gone through WHQL certs...

https://www.techspot.com/news/94369-nvidia-game-ready-drivers-program-turns-seven-company.html

Not that AMD releases WHQL drivers with any notable frequency.
From the sound of it, it's not the Nvidia drivers. Not sure how an app like GForce Experience can impact frame rates, but that is how the article made it sound. The question is, could you uninstall GForce Exp and resolve the issue? Of course Nvidia doesn't want to recommend that course of action.

From the sound of it, it's not the Nvidia drivers. Not sure how an app like GForce Experience can impact frame rates, but that is how the article made it sound. The question is, could you uninstall GForce Exp and resolve the issue? Of course Nvidia doesn't want to recommend that course of action.
Because its software. Any software can have a impact in a multitude of ways. Same way Discords overlay can affect frames. So can GFEs overlay. I think it's called hooking. Games don't like it, usually because of their anti cheat systems.

They won't say it cause we'll they want you to use it. But they do offer a solution which some apps don't or don't even bother fixing.

Even so, because Nvidia drivers are always ”legendary” perfect, better to blame Microsoft, otherwise Nvidia will take another hard blow to their ”reputation”.
P.S. Jensen Huang was caught still rehearsing in front of a mirror how to pronounce correctly 4070 instead of 4080 12GB, but no progress so far.
it wasn't the nvidia driver itself hence why there's no driver update being pushed. it was a software issue. a geforce experience software issue, which is yes, owned by nvidia. however, was this issue present before the windows 22h2 update? no? it's a microsoft issue. if my phone has a massive update and then all of a sudden my phone is running horribly...am I really going to point the finger at all the apps or even the drivers I already had on my phone or the massive update I just installed which was "recommended" to me? exactly. not exactly trying to defend nvidia here but let's just exercise some common sense. windows update has been breaking many things for many people for the majority of the last decade.

How did you come to that conclusion?
Before update > Geforce Experience working well, no performance issues
After update > Geforce Experience damaging gaming performance

It seems to me Microsoft updated something that Nvidia was using and its expected behaviour changed.

Although I can see how you could blame Nvidia as you assume these companies are testing out these major Windows updates in a beta form months before they go live to public.
Usually, that who has to correct wrongdoings, also did it first time.
But with Microsoft updates things are so shady, too many times their updates messed a lot of things. A few weeks ago, I could not even print on my printer because of a Windows ”update”.
In this situation, blame can be split between Nvidia and Microsoft, though the Nvidia superior drivers myth is still falling quite noisy.
it wasn't the nvidia driver itself hence why there's no driver update being pushed. it was a software issue. a geforce experience software issue, which is yes, owned by nvidia. however, was this issue present before the windows 22h2 update? no? it's a microsoft issue. if my phone has a massive update and then all of a sudden my phone is running horribly...am I really going to point the finger at all the apps or even the drivers I already had on my phone or the massive update I just installed which was "recommended" to me? exactly. not exactly trying to defend nvidia here but let's just exercise some common sense. windows update has been breaking many things for many people for the majority of the last decade.
My post pointed that it seems that it is more Nvidia fault than Microsoft. Which the article clearly state that Nvidia GeForce Exp was the cause:
”Now, team green has confirmed that the Nvidia GeForce Experience app is the cause, though it never went into detail.”

This is evidence, so no, ”it's not a microsoft issue”.
Or at least is more Nvidia issue than Microsoft.
And my statement continued that due to Nvidia claims in the past that they have superior drivers, ”perfect” as I wrote as an ironic joke, how can Nvidia be at fault?
I pointed out the contradiction between Nvidia claims and reality.

Let's practice more common sense further.
Technically, GeForce Experience is embedded as a part of Nvidia Graphics Driver or Nvidia Studio Driver as they renamed it.
Check it, when you download Nvidia drivers from their webpage, this is what Nvidia is shoving into the user faces as the default option. The option to install only the basic driver is the second one, and you have to manually select it, IF you are an experienced user and know that drivers works fine and without GeForce Exp.

More, Nvidia could very easily offer the solution to uninstall Geforce Exp but they chose to offer a Beta version of their ”GeforceExp-driver” ”few hours to days later” (with french pronunciation).
Again it is Nvidia fault that is intentionally trying to confuse some inexperienced users instead of offering right away the easier and faster solution, to uninstall that Geforce Exp malefactor.
All of these have a negative impact on user's experience when dealing with Nvidia ”amazing” video cards, Geforce Experience and drivers, and some users discovered this in a very unpleasant way.

In conclusion, I downgraded Nvidia ”perfect” myth to just ”amazing” level. (”amazing” with quotation marks is synonym with ”meh”).

And even if I have to repeat myself, this issue is ”minor” comparing with NVIDIA CEO, Jensen Huang, inability to pronounce correctly 4070 during Ada Lovelace launch. The closest he could say to 4070 was 4080 12GB, which is a very expensive ”mistake” for buyers but a very profitable, while dishonest one, for Nvidia. Again we can see here the same infamous Nvidia pattern to confuse customers, or at least inexperienced computer users. Shame Nvidia!

Last edited:
Cut the Crap!

MICROSOFT ruined gaming with 22H2

After multiple re-installs, I can state as a fact that GeForce Experience has nothing to do with the gaming problems we are experiencing

I have never used GeForce Experience
I use the graphics driver only
I do not use the NVidia Audio driver
I have re-installed Windows 11 22H2 multiple times to pinpoint the problem

......Aaaaaaand what is the problem ?

GTA5 Crashes, locks up the computer, freezes the screen during gameplay, goes to a blackscreen or fails to render game assets (visuals)

MICROSOFT is the problem!

PERIOD!

End of story

Show me ACTUAL EVIDENCE that can be verified (at this end)..........that this is not the case

Hmm im also on 22h2 and I tried GTA5 with no issues, running a 1080ti, I installed the driver via the techpowerup utility if that matters

Hmm im also on 22h2 and I tried GTA5 with no issues, running a 1080ti, I installed the driver via the techpowerup utility if that matters

Maybe it is a hardware related issue

I'm running Windows 11 22H2 on an "unsupported" Sandy Bridge, with an "unsupported" MBR partition and an Old School BIOS instead of the required EFI partition with UEFI Secure Boot Capable Firmware
I am also running without a supported TPM 2.0 module

I can run Windows 11 22H2 fine on a 32GB partition instead of the required 64GB minimum and I did not need an Internet connection or a Microsoft account (required by Microsoft) to install Windows 11 Home Edition which was then updated to Pro Edition

My Installations of both Windows 10 and Windows 11 are portable and can be booted directly from thumb drives or SSD's

and they both have exactly the same NVidia driver

GTA5 will not run for more than 60 seconds without crashing to a blackscreen, freezing or failing to load assets regardless of the number of Windows re-installs and tweaking, but runs perfectly all day long on Windows 10

I push every version of Windows to the limits of what is possible for testing

yup
I'm pushing the envelope.........of acceptable behavior

For "MY" hardware, this is a MICROSOFT problem, not NVidia

Last edited:
Im also installed on a MBR partition, because I dislike multiple drive partitions :D
perhaps give the techpowerup tool a shot, I installed with 0 bloatware and its working nicely

SNIP

My post pointed that it seems that it is more Nvidia fault than Microsoft. Which the article clearly state that Nvidia GeForce Exp was the cause:
”Now, team green has confirmed that the Nvidia GeForce Experience app is the cause, though it never went into detail.”

This is evidence, so no, ”it's not a microsoft issue”.
Or at least is more Nvidia issue than Microsoft.
And my statement continued that due to Nvidia claims in the past that they have superior drivers, ”perfect” as I wrote as an ironic joke, how can Nvidia be at fault?
I pointed out the contradiction between Nvidia claims and reality.
Well, we don't really know, do we? It could be MS fault if they updated some API without notification to developers of changes in behavior of the API. It might just be new functionality. If Nvidia has no knowledge of this, how can they update their app?

Now, it may get even more convoluted. Consider that maybe MS has an API that has a bug in it. Maybe they know, maybe they don't. Nvidia has code in the app that works around this bug in some way. Now MS has updated the API and changed how it works (working properly now). But since Nvidia has a work around, maybe that work around is now flawed. So, Nvidia's fault for working around the bug or MS fault for having the bug in the first place?

Again, this is not a "driver" so any referral to Nvidia's claim of better drivers is a moot point. We're not talking about drivers.
Let's practice more common sense further.
Technically, GeForce Experience is embedded as a part of Nvidia Graphics Driver or Nvidia Studio Driver as they renamed it.
Check it, when you download Nvidia drivers this is what Nvidia is shoving into the user faces as the default option. The option to install only the basic driver is the second one, and you have to manually select it, IF you are an experienced user and know that drivers works fine and without GeForce Exp.

You common sense has failed. First, GeForce Experience comes with the drivers, but it is not required to install so it is not embedded. Second, there is a difference between GRD and Studio Drivers. One is not a replacement for the other. Game drivers are about supporting games at the expense of reliability. Studio drivers are targeted at content workers where stability is of more importance.

If you do to download drivers from the Nvidia site it expressly states:

*This download includes the NVIDIA graphics driver and an option to additionally install the GeForce Experience application.

See that part about "additionally". That means it's not required. Not sure how you make that more clear.
More, Nvidia could very easily offer the solution to uninstall Geforce Exp but they chose to offer a Beta version of their ”GeforceExp-driver” ”few hours to days later” (with french pronunciation).
Again it is Nvidia fault that is intentionally trying to confuse some inexperienced users instead of offering right away the easier and faster solution, to uninstall that Geforce Exp malefactor.
All of this have a negative impact on user's experience when dealing with Nvidia ”amazing” video cards, Geforce Experience and drivers, and more and more users discover this in a very unpleasant way.
In conclusion, I downgraded Nvidia ”perfect” myth to just ”amazing” level.
And even if I have to repeat myself, this issue is ”minor” comparing with , Jensen Huang, NVIDIA CEO, inability to pronounce correctly 4070 during Ada Lovelace launch. The closest he could say to 4070 was 4080 12GB, which is a very expensive ”mistake” for buyers but a very profitable, while dishonest one, for Nvidia. Again we can see here the same infamous Nvidia pattern to confuse inexperienced computer users.
Yes, they could have said uninstall GFE and didn't. However, they did offer an immediate solution which preserves GFE and the functionality that comes with it. Doesn't that seem like the better choice here? Keep my functionality with the possibility I may have an issue since the update isn't official yet. Though, it is coming within the week according to Nvidia. not so sure that's an entirely negative experience for an Nvidia owner.

I don't see the product naming as a big deal. They are pricing based on performance. If anything, the 4080 16G could be called the 4080 Ti. Then it wouldn't be an issue. I think people are making far too much of this. You'll buy the card that has the performance you want at a price that you're happy with. Who cares if it's called a 4070 or Mr. Jensen's magic and wonderful color machine?

I am not seeing any issues from windows 11 or any updates. Everything is working as usual for me.
No gaming issues that I've come across that is 100% related to MS.

I am not seeing any issues from windows 11 or any updates. Everything is working as usual for me.
No gaming issues that I've come across that is 100% related to MS.
As I stated above, the problems I see may depend on the specific hardware being used due to the fact that the exact same NVidia driver works perfectly on Windows 10, yet is nothing but problems on Windows 11 (for MY hardware)

MICROSOFT is breaking the driver for older hardware (in MY case)
For others, it may be the NVidia GeForce Experience that breaks things on newer hardware

As I stated above, the problems I see may depend on the specific hardware being used due to the fact that the exact same NVidia driver works perfectly on Windows 10, yet is nothing but problems on Windows 11 (for MY hardware)

MICROSOFT is breaking the driver for older hardware (in MY case)
For others, it may be the NVidia GeForce Experience that breaks things on newer hardware
And I said I am seeing no issues for me. Windows 11 works no different than 10 for me. I have seen no gaming issues related to windows 11 for me.

Why the drama? You lot need / get off on it, I swear. Its not a big issue. Software isnt perfect. The previous didnt work perfectly and has now been fixed. F me, move on.

Back