Latest Steam survey: cheaper graphics cards make largest gains, AMD CPUs lose more ground...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Are graphics card buyers being more frugal in these times of economic uncertainty? The latest Steam survey suggests so, with most of last month's best-performing cards comprising mid- to-low-end GPUs and those from previous generations.

Despite holding the top spot for almost five years, the GTX 1060 was last month's second-best-performing card. The number of survey participants sporting the Pascal card in their rigs jumped 0.34%—only the RTX 3060 Laptop GPU did better with a 0.61% increase.

Last month's top ten biggest GPU gains show a familiar pattern: the list is made up of older cards like the GTX 1660 and RTX 2060, as well as mid/low-range options like the RTX 3060 and RTX 3050 Ti.

The highest-positioned (non-laptop) top-end card is the RTX 3070 Ti, up just 0.02% last month. Interestingly, the RTX 3080 Ti, Radeon RX 6900 XT, and Radeon RX 6800 XT made no gains, while the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 were down -0.01%, despite the recent price drops among premium graphics cards.

There's little significant change in the main GPU chart. The RTX 3060 and 3060 Laptop cards are the highest Ampere entries in fifth and sixth place, respectively.

Elsewhere in the survey, September marked the second month in a row that AMD lost CPU share to Intel. Team Red was down -0.82% to 31.24%, moving Intel closer to the 70% user share it previously enjoyed. It'll be interesting to see how things change once Raptor Lake and Zen 4 start affecting the figures

We also see that Windows 11 is now running on almost a quarter of all participants' PCs—it was the only Microsoft OS to increase last month—8GB is the most popular amount of VRAM, and 1080p remains the most common resolution (66.38%), though 1440p was up 0.33% to 11.25%.

Finally, September was another month in which the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset lost user share. It was down -7.86% to 41.39%, which is still a lot higher than the second-place Valve Index HMD (17.21%).

Permalink to story.

I was about to give up on Windows 11, like if 22H2 doesn't improve, I'm reinstalling Windows 10.

I was fairly certain it's gonna be a reinstall, but I have to say, this update seems decent. Most things are noticeably snappier, and there's some nice additions, like the revamped task manager.

It's no big deal, the fluctuation of business back and forth is just a natural thing and has been going on for many decades. AMD will come roaring back again into the lead, then fall behind ... back and forth it goes and in the long run the consumer benefits from the competition.

Yep, everyone knows that the GTX 1060 is the best desktop GPU card to pick up nowadays.

Also known as: "extremely noisy collection of random anecdotal information attempting to masquerade as data."

AMD better have a winning product line this November. Otherwise I don't see them ever gaining ground on Nvidia.
I tend to agree. The CPUs look good, but I think Intel has a slight edge having equal or better performance at a slightly lower price. Now, we have to wait for full independent benchmarks and we'll need to see how much discounting (if any) is going on.

GPUs remain to be seen. Other than the naming complaints, Nvidia's line up looks good, but perhaps over-priced. Will AMD do to Nvidia what Intel did to AMD with CPU pricing? Will AMD price lower or will they deliver similar performance at a similar price? If there's not a significant price delta or performance delta at a price point, AMD will probably not do as well. If they show some superiority in pricing/perfomance, it could spell bad news for Nvidia.

I tend to agree. The CPUs look good, but I think Intel has a slight edge having equal or better performance at a slightly lower price. Now, we have to wait for full independent benchmarks and we'll need to see how much discounting (if any) is going on.

GPUs remain to be seen. Other than the naming complaints, Nvidia's line up looks good, but perhaps over-priced. Will AMD do to Nvidia what Intel did to AMD with CPU pricing? Will AMD price lower or will they deliver similar performance at a similar price? If there's not a significant price delta or performance delta at a price point, AMD will probably not do as well. If they show some superiority in pricing/perfomance, it could spell bad news for Nvidia.
AMD has no hope.

No matter what they do, media, biased reviewers and Tubers will make sure to shove nvidia and intel down your throat because rea$on$.

Both Nvidia and Intel have shown how little they care for the customers and yet here we all are, ready to keep giving them more money.

Performance wise, reading comments online, would make you believe that that a GTX 1060 is faster than a 6900XT@4K with RT on in both cards.

Or the fact that every time the Steam survey results are posted, the same thing happens, numbers are taken as gospel when they favor intel/nvidia and yet nobody wonders where the heck did all the AMD GPU's went?

I mean, even AMD store was always sold out of GPU's and they were not good for mining, so where the heck all of them went?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also known as: "extremely noisy collection of random anecdotal information attempting to masquerade as data."

Don't pass off your inability to understand basic statistics as random anecdotal information. The data displays what was requested in their survey, no more and no less. Anything beyond that which hurts your ego is a you problem.

AMD has no hope.

No matter what they do, media and biased reviewers and Tubers will make sure to shove nvidia and intel down your throat because rea$on$.
Maybe, I'm seeing a lot of angst over the 4080 12G naming. I mean, really? You're mad at the name? Let's see what AMD has, I'm actually rooting for them to bring a little pressure to Nvidia. I'll go AMD if the prices are right for good performance.
Both Nvidia and Intel have shown how little they care for the customers and yet here we all area, ready to keep giving them money.
Not sure how you define "care for the customer". I look at it as either they did or did not bring products to market that people wanted, enough to spend money on them. That includes, price, performance, support, quality and more. Just because we all want a $400 4090Ti doesn't mean it's possible to produce. I don't like the high pricing, but I also feel like we are getting levels of performance that aren't really necessary for most people. Sure, we all want more FPS, but does it truly matter if you're getting 225 fps versus 200? I don't think so. Maybe everyone doesn't need a 4090 or even a 3090.
Performance wise, reading comments online, would make you believe that that a GTX 1060 is faster than a 6900XT@4K with RT on in both.
I look at benchmarks, not comments and I get that there have been cards in the past that were exceptional at the time they came out. And some of them still do a decent job in games. I think the Steam data is nothing more than what cards people are using to play games. I assume that there may be a percentage of those people who might be children or relatives of gamers who may have inherited Dad's old gaming system with a 1060 in it. It kind of goes back to what is it you really need to play a game. For some, a 1060 gets it done.
Or the fact that every time the Steam survey results are posted, the same thing happens, numbers are taken as gospel when they favor intel/nvidia and yet nobody wonders where the heck did all the AMD GPU's went?

I mean, even AMD store was always sold out of GPU's and they were not good for mining, so where the heck all of them went?
No clue where they went. I assume into a gaming rig somewhere. With more and more services like Epic, Orign, etc to get games, maybe Steam isn't the bellwether of gaming any more.

It is interesting how long the GTX 1060 has remained at the top of the list, on the Steam Survey. I still use a 6GB Gigabyte WindForce model, myself. I wonder how many people are in limbo like me, because their rig is too old to justify putting a new card into.

AMD abandoning the lower end cpu market is brain dead IMO. cRaptor Lake will kill Zen 4 in overall sales and with the 13100 and 13400 and I suspect 13600K will decimate 7600X sales too. Also with the AMD MB makers gouging in the extreme, if prices don't drop very fast more people will drift to Intel IMO. I am in no rush and was thinking of waiting for 7900X3D which is out Q1 2023, but may indeed switch to 13700/13900K depending on overall system costs.

I think RDNA3 will be competitive but they will need an answer to DLSS3. I wonder what FSR 3 will bring to the table. In rasterisation they'll be close for sure, but Nvidia is really pushing it's optical flow accelerators and will go in hard on DLSS3. The big advantage AMD will have is price. Nvidia's pricing is effing absurd especially on the 4080 which performance per dollar is a joke. RDNA3 is apparently much cheaper to manufacture and they won't have to increase prices like money grubbing Huang claiming MLiD.

Don't pass off your inability to understand basic statistics as random anecdotal information. The data displays what was requested in their survey, no more and no less. Anything beyond that which hurts your ego is a you problem.

Show me the "statistics" in this "data set". How big is the data set? What percentage of people are polled? How big are the error bars? How are the selections randomized? How are inherent biases controlled for? The list goes on and on. These are vague numbers, that is all.

The simple jumps in GTX 1060 numbers over the past few years are enough to tell anyone that month to month and even season to season this information is barely useful for even the most general of ideas, much less be able to make a decent prediction.

LOL, it is pathetic when someone's arguments come down to a personal attack. As if I have some dog in this fight, as I have and regularly use equipment from all the major manufacturers. What I actually care about is good, interesting data and the Steam Survey only gives the vaguest of generalizations.

AMD has no hope.

No matter what they do, media and biased reviewers and Tubers will make sure to shove nvidia and intel down your throat because rea$on$.

Both Nvidia and Intel have shown how little they care for the customers and yet here we all area, ready to keep giving them money.

Performance wise, reading comments online, would make you believe that that a GTX 1060 is faster than a 6900XT@4K with RT on in both.

There is hope, but it will have to be on the back of Nvidia's mistakes. AMD doesn't need to win the performance crown, they need to deliver decent products at decent prices.

Capitalising on the recent anti-nvidia sentiment with a positive product line is the way to go for them.

LOL, it is pathetic when someone's arguments come down to a personal attack. What I actually care about is good, interesting data and the Steam Survey only gives the vaguest of generalizations.
yes it is pathetic, that word truly encapsulates your post to a "T". Unfortunately your inability to even read about the steam survey and just generalize what is and incorrectly use the term "bias" in any scientific data state...well that leads back to your former statement doesn't it? Oh how the words burn when they hit their mark like a bull eyes and the person tosses a hissy fit for all to see.

Maybe, I'm seeing a lot of angst over the 4080 12G naming. I mean, really? You're mad at the name? Let's see what AMD has, I'm actually rooting for them to bring a little pressure to Nvidia. I'll go AMD if the prices are right for good performance.

Wait, where the heck did I mentioned that? Someone is projecting or worse, putting words that I didnt use at all.
Not sure how you define "care for the customer".
Sucks that I have to explain that, but here is a small list for your enjoyment:

I look at benchmarks, not comments and I get that there have been cards in the past that were exceptional at the time they came out. And some of them still do a decent job in games. I think the Steam data is nothing more than what cards people are using to play games. I assume that there may be a percentage of those people who might be children or relatives of gamers who may have inherited Dad's old gaming system with a 1060 in it. It kind of goes back to what is it you really need to play a game. For some, a 1060 gets it done.
I have to applaud you in how good you can use words in subtle ways to still push your preferences at the same that that you ignore the main point.
No clue where they went. I assume into a gaming rig somewhere. With more and more services like Epic, Orign, etc to get games, maybe Steam isn't the bellwether of gaming any more.
Same as above.

The simple jumps in GTX 1060 numbers over the past few years are enough to tell anyone that month to month and even season to season this information is barely useful for even the most general of ideas, much less be able to make a decent prediction.
Many keep saying that and as I keep repeating every month that this article is "reprinted" something is very wrong with the survey and AMD gpus.

But its getting tiresome to repeat the same thing.

yes it is pathetic, that word truly encapsulates your post to a "T". Unfortunately your inability to even read about the steam survey and just generalize what is and incorrectly use the term "bias" in any scientific data state...well that leads back to your former statement doesn't it? Oh how the words burn when they hit their mark like a bull eyes and the person tosses a hissy fit for all to see.

You've provided no information. Again. What is your point?

Instead you ended your other post and this one with a personal attack and well, how you managed that shows everyone here a lot about you. I'm glad if that makes you feel good, you need to do the best for you. But if you have an actual point about the Steam Survey, then make it.

My opinion is that the information in the survey is noisy crap and good only for vague generalizations, and then only sometimes, like when there are only 2 or 3 options. And that comes from years of poring over it.

Wait, where the heck did I mentioned that? Someone is projecting or worse, putting words that I didnt use at all.
You said that the media and biased reviewers would shove Nvidia down your throat, implying that they would not have anything bad to say about Nvidia but, in fact, many reviewers are blasting Nvidia for the 4080 12G naming.
Sucks that I have to explain that, but here is a small list for your enjoyment:

That was the funniest thing I've read in some time. Thanks for the chuckles. You could simple replace Nvidia in that list with AMD and you wouldn't be too far off the mark. Every company markets their products and looks for ways to differentiate themselves. Even AMD. Every company offers free gear to reviewers, including AMD. You can bet that there are enough reviewers out there that any overly biased reviews would be picked apart by peer review.
I have to applaud you in how good you can use words in subtle ways to still push your preferences at the same that that you ignore the main point.

Same as above.
I have a preference for good products that deliver the features I need at a good price. If AMD can deliver a 3080/4080 12G class card at a better price point, I'll buy it. Until then, I'm in a holding pattern; buying nothing. While I could drop $1600 on a 4090, I really don't want to spend my money that way. I tend to be a value buyer, usually n-1 when it comes to computer parts. Get great performance on last year's models at a great price. So far that's not happening with Nvidia.

But if you have an actual point about the Steam Survey, then make it.
Learn it
Live it
Love it

Steam Hardware & Software Survey: September 2022

Steam conducts a monthly survey to collect data about what kinds of computer hardware and software our customers are using. Participation in the survey is optional, and anonymous. The information gathered is incredibly helpful to us as we make decisions about what kinds of technology investments to make and products to offer.

My opinion is that the information in the survey is noisy crap and good only for vague generalizations
Your opinion is wrong (but I'm sure you are used to that by now in life) as the information is for Valve, not you, not me, not anyone but Valve. That's it. You don't like where AMD, Nvidia, or Intel are on the list? Tough. Valve's survey for valve, done by valve. valve, valve, valve. End of story. Stop using the the survey for market share placement (either good or bad as you would be wrong either way). The survey tells valve what's out in the market.
That's
all
it's
good
for

Learn it
Live it
Love it

Steam Hardware & Software Survey: September 2022

Steam conducts a monthly survey to collect data about what kinds of computer hardware and software our customers are using. Participation in the survey is optional, and anonymous. The information gathered is incredibly helpful to us as we make decisions about what kinds of technology investments to make and products to offer.

Your opinion is wrong (but I'm sure you are used to that by now in life) as the information is for Valve, not you, not me, not anyone but Valve. That's it. You don't like where AMD, Nvidia, or Intel are on the list? Tough. Valve's survey for valve, done by valve. valve, valve, valve. End of story. Stop using the the survey for market share placement (either good or bad as you would be wrong either way). The survey tells valve what's out in the market.
That's
all
it's
good
for

I've been aware of the purpose for the Steam Survey information for years, and for a time it seemed appeared to be reasonable. However I'm lamenting how crappy it is for any other use than Steam's, which is a shame as it could be better.

But you keep doing you. And good job with continuing the personal attacks and making up other people's motivations in your imagination, and changing them into what seems to be your favorite strawman of 'knowing more'. Good one.

So you're arguing against yourself. Let us know which one of you won.

Last edited:
The obvious thing here is that while Nvidia is working on its new line of GPUs and dropping prices on its high end RTX 30 cards, the real consumer card is the RTX 3060, still selling above MSRP and still too expensive, but relatively affordable.

I've been aware of the purpose for the Steam Survey information for years
Your posts have proven otherwise

And good job with continuing the personal attacks and making up other people's motivations in your imagination,
You are confusing people correcting your mistakes as a personal attack, it's not nor is it meant to be. It is simply a correction based on facts that that proves your statement as simply an incorrect opinion.
So you're arguing against yourself. Let us know which one of you won.
There is no argument, there is simply you accepting the education or you continuing down the road of ignorance and tossing immature hissy fits. That choice is yours and I'm sure you will continue to reply hoping to gain some aspect of a last ditch effort to avoid further embarrassment due to your lack of knowledge. You have my permission to do so, I'm done educating and correcting you with facts. I'm simply placing this thread on ignore.

Your posts have proven otherwise

You are confusing people correcting your mistakes as a personal attack, it's not nor is it meant to be. It is simply a correction based on facts that that proves your statement as simply an incorrect opinion.

There is no argument, there is simply you accepting the education or you continuing down the road of ignorance and tossing immature hissy fits. That choice is yours and I'm sure you will continue to reply hoping to gain some aspect of a last ditch effort to avoid further embarrassment due to your lack of knowledge. You have my permission to do so, I'm done educating and correcting you with facts. I'm simply placing this thread on ignore.

Wow, the fiction you invent in your head about me is flattering.

Enjoy your imagination and how great you like to be in there.

Lew Zealand and dirtyferret, please discontinue your personal argument. If you must continue, you could try PM.

Back