LCD or cable failure?

Modena

My laptop recently just stopped showing anything on the screen, its just black. The computer still starts and works fine with an external monitor. So my question is how do I know what to replace the cable or the LCD? I did some research online and it seems if it were the cable you could tap/bend/turn screen and you'd get something to display even for a moment but nothing happens, so is it safe to say its the LCD itself? Any info appreciated, thank you. (HP Pavilion DV4 2045dx BTW)

Take a flash light and shine it on the LCD screen. If you can see a faint image, the LCD back light has failed. If you see no image, the LCD inverter may be bad. It is a separate piece. The inverter doesn't fail that often though. You can change the back light but it is a pain. Whole LCD panels including the back light can be purchased. I get mine from EBay, most of the time for $150 and under. You can check the cable when you take the top apart. Unless the laptop has been abused, the cable(s) are usually okay

Yeah couldn't see anything even with the flashlight on it, so its safe to say I should replace the inverter? Thank you for the response.

You could replace the inverter, I'm not so sure it isn't the back light though... Good luck whichever way you go. In my experience with HP/Compaq it has always been to replace the whole LCD panel

Yeah well I figure I could try the inverter 1st just cause it's so much cheaper, hopefully its that if not then new LCD it is.

Yeah, definitely a problem with the LCD itself. The inverter provides power for the back light. If you can't see anything on your screen even with a flashlight, then its definitely the LCD. Did you make sure you switched to the laptop's LCD from the external monitor before you checked?

I really think so too. I have changed a lot of LCD panels over the last few years, and 0 inverters electrically bad, except a few that were physically damaged

Yeah, it wasn't the inverter sadly... Installed new LCD today and its working nice. Amazon had it super cheap though $90, thanks for the help everybody.

Back