Leak suggests Ryzen 5000XT desktop CPUs are coming soon

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: We could soon see a new line of desktop processors from AMD—but you might want to hold your excitement. Rumors claim that the company will be refreshing its current Ryzen 5000 CPUs with XT variants, as was the case with the underwhelming Ryzen 3000XT series.

News of the Ryzen 5000 (Vermeer) processor refresh comes from Twitter user Patrick Schur, who has included two Processor Model Number codes for the unreleased SKUs. As with the Ryzen 3000XT line, the new processors, which Schur refers to as the B2 stepping for Vermeer, appear to offer almost no changes apart from a very slight boost to the clock speed.

The 100-000000059-60_50/34_Y model is likely to be the Ryzen 9 5950XT. It has the same 16 cores/32 threads and 3.4 GHz base clock as the Ryzen 5950X, along with all the other Zen 3 perks. The only difference is the boost clock increasing from 4.9 GHz to 5.0 GHz.

The 00-000000065-06_46/37_Y model is expected to be the Ryzen 5 5600XT. This has exactly the same specs as the 5600X version—3.7 GHz base/4.6GHz boost—so it’s either an early engineering sample or it might just be a model replacement and not an XT part at all.

AMD released a Ryzen 3800XT during its previous refresh, though it’s unclear if a 5800XT will arrive this time.

The Ryzen 3000XT series released last June, meaning AMD could do the same with the Zen 3 versions. Next month may also see the launch of the X570S motherboards.

We were far from impressed by last year’s Ryzen 3000XT chips, given that that they offer virtually no improvements over their predecessors, and it's hard to imagine the 5000XT CPUs fairing any better. It would be nice to believe that they’ll at least lead to lower Ryzen 5000-series prices and more general availability, but that’s probably just wishful thinking in the current climate.

Permalink to story.

"It would be nice to believe that they’ll at least lead to lower Ryzen 5000-series prices and more general availability, but that’s probably just wishful thinking in the current climate."

Holy crap, how much price cut on 5800X do you want? We're already down to MSRP again finally and they are so easily available now you can order one on the spot with no delays or lotteries. I've been on my 5800X for a month now, and since the day I bought mine it's gone on sale twice dropping below MSRP by 20 bucks at Amazon once, and Newegg once, this last month.

By next month you will likely see 5600X and 5800X showing up in tons of sales below MSRP. You want lower prices? They're already happening...

My meaningless prediction is we will finally see some Ryzen 5000 value oriented skus, and this is going to be a reintroduction to zen 3. At least that's what I'm hoping for. I actually made out pretty good from 3000xt because when I went to build my second Ryzen build the 3900x was $10 more than the 3900xt on Newegg. Lol.

Meh. But if prices of 5600X / 5800X drop below MSRP for the first time I'll gladly pick up one of those...

My local MicroCenter is selling 5600x $20 below MSRP and the 5800x $50 below MSRP. They're also actually sitting on 25+ (according to the website stock listing) of the 5950x, but they are priced at MSRP of $799.

Would be curious to see what the boost will be on the new chips.

I can already do 5050mhz on my two best cores on my 5800X

I would hope that AMD had learnt from the last "XT" models that the way it was implemented only harms the brand. Maybe they'll do it better this time.

Well, Intel just came out with a new one so it was AMD's turn.
Is it just me, or does it seem that since AMD got back into the game, both companies are sitting on a dozen+ new chips, just waiting for the other company to release their 'Next Big Thing' before they release theirs?

This has me more determined than ever to just wait for Zen 4, it will get nearly 30% IPC uplift, the biggest generational improvement yet. The next gen 7000 series APU's will also be a huge upgrade with RDNA cores.

Back