Leaked Galaxy Note 6 (Note 7?) blueprints reveal curved edges, USB Type-C, iris scanner and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung’s next Galaxy Note smartphone is set to arrive in a few months (perhaps sooner) and now, we’ve got a pretty good idea of what it’ll look like.

uSwitch (via Steve Hemmerstoffer of @Onleaks) has managed to get its hands on what it claims are leaked blueprints of Samsung’s next flagship handset. What it reveals is a device that’ll look almost identical to the Galaxy S7 Edge, complete with curved edges. The key difference, of course, is the slot for the stylus.

The blueprints also reveal that Samsung is ditching the standard USB port in favor of a USB Type-C port, a welcomed move on a high-end device as it enables faster transfers and charging. A series of sensors above the display suggest the phone may feature a biometric iris scanner that would let users unlock their handset simply by looking at it.

In related news, serial leaker Evan Blass of @evleaks says Samsung is on track to unveil the next Note smartphone almost two months from now, or in early August. If true, that would be even earlier than the Note 5’s debut on August 13 of last year and give Samsung more time on the market ahead of Apple’s next iPhone.

Up for debate is the name of Samsung’s new Note device. Tradition would tell us that it’ll be called the Galaxy Note 6 although recent scuttlebutt suggests Samsung may skip ahead and name the device the Galaxy Note 7. Samsung apparently wants to bring the naming convention in line with the Galaxy S series, currently the Galaxy S7.

Permalink to story.

I'll be the first commenter, just because I am a Note fanboy. IMO they screwed up when they removed SD card support. It also kind of sucks not being able to swap out batteries.

They also screwed up by removed the IR blaster. It was actually pretty nice to be able to use my phone as a remote, but I guess they decided it wasnt worth it.

I'll be the first commenter, just because I am a Note fanboy. IMO they screwed up when they removed SD card support. It also kind of sucks not being able to swap out batteries.

They also screwed up by removed the IR blaster. It was actually pretty nice to be able to use my phone as a remote, but I guess they decided it wasnt worth it.
Well you might get SD card expansion back but you can forget about the rest.

lol, I never even knew a (IR-enabled Samsung smart)phone can be used as a remote control.

lol, I never even knew a (IR-enabled Samsung smart)phone can be used as a remote control.

Yeah. As long as it has an IR blaster in it, you can use it to control TVs, Stereos, DVD/CD players, AC units, etc. They just need to support IR. I've run into a few items where it has not worked, but the software keeps getting updated all the time to add more functionality.

With regards to the new Note, I really hope they add back the SD slot. I'd like a removable battery too, but sadly that's not likely to happen.

That's why I'm gonna stick to my Note 4, the best one that Samsung ever made.

Lets hope it will have removable battery and SD card slot. 6GB RAM is also something I heard and will look forward to. USB-C also is awesome. If it has all of these must have features I might upgrade my aging Note 2.

True that. IR, SD card, removable battery - if Samsung actually listens to its users, these need to stay. It should stop chasing what other companies like Apple are after and instead focus on what made it great. Jeez, how hard is it to listen and stick to these basic things?

Right about the time Sammy ditches the SD/removable batt/IR Blaster, is the time Apple will add one and claim they're the first with this great new addition and that their users cant live without

As a own of the Galaxy S7 Edge, I would say the the curved edge is doing more harm than anything.
When I grab my phone with one hand, it is too easy to have the screen touched accidentally.
Also when I try to drag icons from screen to screen, the curve on the edge is making it difficult to do.

I have the GN4 and hopefully the new GN will have a replaceable battery, microSD and hopefully an IR. With a denser screen and more RAM it will need a larger capacity battery and a wireless charging would be nice. A better camera and waterproofing would also be a great addition. The only thing is if the price will be right otherwise I'll stay with my GN4, again.

As a own of the Galaxy S7 Edge, I would say the the curved edge is doing more harm than anything.
When I grab my phone with one hand, it is too easy to have the screen touched accidentally.
Also when I try to drag icons from screen to screen, the curve on the edge is making it difficult to do.

Haven't used an Edge device yet, but I've heard that the screen is more prone to breaking in a drop, because of the rigid curved edge. Samsung needs to stop with the stupid gimmicks and return to what made the Note line great. Just give me a big, high-quality screen with SD support and a removable battery. Why is that so hard?

Ouch, I rely on the ir blaster. Ok, so I stick with note 3 for now, but I will need to broaden my options for my next phone.

Yea, I bought the Note 5. Works pretty well, but a lot of people have been reporting bluetooth issues, I am one of them. Bluetooth range went to ****, maybe like 2 feet, IF I'm lucky. BIG time failure. I've already given my previous Note away. With the leaks and rumors of the new Note 6 (or 7 LoL) I think I'll give it a shot.

I've did find a little workaround. I have one of those portable battery chargers that just about as thick as the phone, provides maybe one and a half full charges. Also, a micro USB SD card reader, as well as a Micro USB OTG Adapter. Links provided for anyone's curiosity.

Which gave me an idea... I think this needs a little work, and needs to be made more compact but on a quick search I found an external IR controller

I'm guessing it needs a battery because it's plugged into the headphone jack. I dont believe the headphone jacks really provide any power for devices. It would make more sense to have one that plugged into the USB port, but then they might be facing the wrong direction. Here's an idea for a developer. Have one that plugs in to the USB port, and wraps around the back of the phone to point the IR towards the front.

Last edited:
Back