Leaked: Windows 8 build 7910 screenshots

Emil

Staff

A few new Windows 8 user interface screenshots have leaked. Windows 8 build 7910 is part of the Milestone 2 branch, so we're not seeing the latest, but it is rather interesting that it took just eight minutes to install, approximately 2.5 times faster than Windows 7. You have to thank the Chinese website Win7China for offering a glimpse into the future even though the leaks did include several wallpapers with a "ssh…let's not leak our hard work" message.

The first and second screenshots show that users can choose an image that "will appear on your taskbar and represent you throughout Windows." In fact, this appears to be linked with your Windows Live ID, though it's not yet clear to what extent. The third screenshot shows a progress bar on the taskbar when installing a mouse driver, which only further builds on Windows 7's various progress bars in the taskbar (such as the one for IE8 downloads).

The website also claims that Windows 8 will have a new restore feature that will return the computer to its factory state in under two minutes. The factory restore feature will not require an installation disc and the required hard disk space is said to be minimal.

A rumor from earlier this year suggested that Microsoft has compiled Windows 8 Milestone 2 and is working on Windows 8 Milestone 3. Another rumor also from two months ago claimed that Windows 8 will include a new tile-based user interface, codenamed Mosh, as well as a new app model, codenamed Jupiter, that will target a new Windows Marketplace app store. Three months ago, a rumor stated the OS would have two user interfaces, a new fast hibernation system, and would intelligently manage an SSD.

Permalink to story.

I told ya'll the last rumor about Windows' UI being with all bubbles and stuff was not true. I doubt Microsoft will try too hard (a la Vista) with Windows 8. I think they'll just stick to what works, and keep it simple, like they did with Windows 7. I personally find the increased boot-up speed and the fast recovery features instant wins.

Meh, don't care much for having my user image in my task tray. I hope if they really are doing that, that it will be optional (i'm sure it will be). Besides...what's the point of your user image being all over the place?

I will try Win8 when it comes out. I have many friends in high places, so getting free copies of anything Windows related is only a phone call away...not like i'll be wasting any money :p

lurker101 said:
Guest said:
Nothing special, windows 8 it's just the windows 7 sp2

Sounds about right to me. Win 7 was merely Vista SP3, repackaged and re-marketed.

The version numbers confirm Your story: Windows Vista = ver. 6.0, Windows 7 = ver. 6.1.

Cool story bro. I bow to you for you don't pay for windows . i have never paid for windows since 95 welcom to the club *****. WOW just WOW

Lokalaskurar said:
lurker101 said:
Sounds about right to me. Win 7 was merely Vista SP3, repackaged and re-marketed.
The version numbers confirm Your story: Windows Vista = ver. 6.0, Windows 7 = ver. 6.1.
I suppose you're already aware how that was noticed as soon as the first beta came out...

Guest said:
Cool story bro. I bow to you for you don't pay for windows . i have never paid for windows since 95 welcome to the club *****. WOW just WOW

It's great to be a part of the club. It's not that I don't want to support Microsoft...I'd just rather be saving that money to buy a new car and parts for a computer I want to build :p Besides...what use is a friend if he/she doesn't do favors for you like this :D

Aw c'mon - I haven't even got round to reading Windows 7 for Dummies yet!

The screenshots tell you nothing that can't be faked via Photoshop. A better question would be, why are so many build versions being "leaked"?

So I'm guessing we might see a first leak in either spring or summer

"Sounds about right to me. Win 7 was merely Vista SP3, repackaged and re-marketed."

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Guest said:
"Sounds about right to me. Win 7 was merely Vista SP3, repackaged and re-marketed."

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

lol. After Sp1 Vista was not as bad as it was when it was released. Still a bit bulky and the minimum specs for it are too low, and manufacturers installed it on PCs that really could not handle it.

I got a copy of WIn Vista Ultimate edition £100 with my new rig 2 years ago, which I thought was an alright deal. 4 gig ram GT250 GFX card AMD phenom 2.2hgz it still runs latest games pretty well and should last this year, got Crysis 2 demo on Download we will see how it handles that.

I think the only way to WIN is to eat noodles while using UBUNTU 11 or later.

Oh come on, how much money do Microsoft think we have? Well i aren't going to Windows 8 for a long, long time yet, 5 or 6 years maybe. And anyway, it won't be much different than Windows 7.

Back