Leap motion controller now shipping, coming to Best Buy on July 28

Shawn Knight

Staff member

leap controller leap motion

The Leap Motion 3D gesture controller is now shipping following an unexpected delay. It was initially scheduled to ship on May 13, but CEO Michael Buckwald said back in April they simply needed more time to test the device before deploying it in the wild.

In a post on the company blog, Leap said they started shipping pre-orders last week and some have already received the device. They are dispatching hundreds of thousands of units to more than 150 countries but due to high demand they are still processing pre-orders at this time. The company promised not to rest until all placed orders are delivered.

If you are not familiar with the Leap Motion controller, it’s a flash drive-sized module that is able to track the movement of all 10 fingers on both hands in an area of eight cubic feet. It’s much more sensitive than the Kinect as it can detect movements of just 0.01 millimeters although it's designed for close quarters operation rather than room-filling fun like Microsoft's solution.

The device works with specialized apps found in the Leap Airspace Store. At present, there are 75 or so apps to choose from including games, productivity apps and creative tools. Most are either free or cost a couple of bucks to purchase.

If you’re the type that likes to check out a product in person before making a purchase, you can head to your local Best Buy starting July 28 to pick one up. Otherwise, you can order through the company’s online store for around $80 plus shipping.

Permalink to story.

As I wrote here sometime earlier, I'm not buying into the reason for the delay. They claimed the hardware was fully finished and they just needed more time to polish the software. In the meantime, they tell us the box is easily upgradeable for newer software. Under such circumstances, considering how many people were expecting the product's release, it seemed like an odd strategy.

Other than that, I'm very much interested in seeing real reviews from people, and if turns out to be good, I'm buying it right away. I just put together a great new rig with Windows 8 Pro, which on my 30" screen is half-useless with all of its Metro stuff. Maybe Leap Motion can breathe in new life in it, to take best from the both worlds - Leap Motion for the Metro and traditional inputs for the desktop mode.

Never mind, I saw that Froggle says it is for Win 7 or 8, so it does support it.

I still want to see this for smart tv's as well, much larger market there if you can turn a normal tv into touch for 2000 instead of 10000

Would love to know if this would work in the livingroom, I have my PC hooked up to my 80" 3D Sharp and would love to gesture from the couch :)

Sounds like a great idea/product. Too bad it did not get great reviews.

I just went through all the latest reviews after the product release, and it is really disappointing to know this thing is far away from being a productivity tool, something I hoped for, to bring life to Metro UI.

Maybe later on as they improve the UI it will become something more than a gimmick...

I just went through all the latest reviews after the product release, and it is really disappointing to know this thing is far away from being a productivity tool, something I hoped for, to bring life to Metro UI.

Maybe later on as they improve the UI it will become something more than a gimmick...

Yeah, I was disappointed also. It is just another Ouya. It has a great dev team with a great concept and endeavour, but they did not give themselves enough time.

Back