1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Left 4 Dead creator Turtle Rock announces new IP Back 4 Blood

By Cal Jeffrey · 14 replies
Mar 14, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Regardless, Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) and Turtle Rock Studios announced a new “original,” premium title called “Back 4 Blood.” Well, it’s not entirely original. B4B will still be a four-player co-op zombie-shooter gore fest that the studio is known for, but made for the current generation of hardware.

“Back 4 Blood is designed from the ground up as an original, premium title and marries the best of what made the co-op zombie shooter so successful with new features and state-of-the-art technology,” said the press release.

Presumably, the "state-of-the-art" tech being referred to are some of the newer GPU technologies such as real-time ray tracing and deep learning super sampling, but we won't be sure until much later in the development process.

"Blood is our own brand new, original IP. You’ll be able to shoot up a lot of zombies like in Left 4 Dead, but there’s a whole lot of new stuff in Back 4 Blood which makes it unique."

Turtle Rock and WBIE didn’t reveal much else about the title other than the team is going “back to its roots” for this one. That is a good thing since the studio’s last production, the F2P Evolve: Stage 2 never lived up to the hype.

“We are going back to our roots and at the same time innovating on them,” said Turtle Rock’s community manager. “We know we have some big shoes to fill, but we’re going all out to surpass everything we’ve done before.”

That would certainly be an accomplishment considering both Left 4 Dead games were solid titles.

It remains unclear whether Back 4 Blood is replacing the Left 4 Dead franchise. It certainly sounds like it since it is still a four-player co-op zombie FPS. However, Turtle Rock maintains that it is different.

“No, [this is not L4D3]. Blood is our own brand new, original IP,” reads the FAQ. “You’ll be able to shoot up a lot of zombies like in Left 4 Dead, but there’s a whole lot of new stuff in Back 4 Blood which makes it unique.”

The studio decided to announce the game so soon because it is looking for community feedback early on in the development process.

“We love being able to announce, so we can start working with the community right away,” said Turtle Rock Studios Co-founder and Design Director Chris Ashton.

Additionally, the company wanted to let the industry know it is working on something big because it is looking to hire new talent. It urges anyone interested in working on the project to check out the Turtle Rock jobs board.

The team is planning to initially release the game on PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, but says that other options are still on the table. Those other options being macOS and Linux ports, which are available for the L4D series. This will also be the debut for Sony's platform which never saw release of the first two zombie titles.

Permalink to story.

2. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Evangelist Posts: 545   +153

Gonna be watching for this!

hahahanoobs likes this.
  3. texasrattler

texasrattler TS Evangelist Posts: 611   +230

Related links are broken, they just bring you back to the original article.

4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 2,618   +2,352

I can think of a couple possible reasons its not Left 4 Dead 3. The most likely would be that Valve got too greedy. Another would be a complete change in tone from the old franchise. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if B4B's multiplayer is a team-based arena shooter with loot crates aplenty.

5. texasrattler

Maybe it's a sign for devs to move on from Valve/Steam. It's been going on for awhile.

They said it'll play like L4D but with basically new content and tech. Which means new graphics and what not.

6. noel24

noel24 TS Evangelist Posts: 501   +428

Stereotypical Nia Long with AK, Miami Vice Don Draper, Shaq O'Neil with Shutgun and Borderlands' Scooter The Redneck. Both right and left wing media will soon eat it for breakfast...
    I'm watching too much of The Quartering recently. I need to seek medical help.

7. texasrattler

Neither of them look like Shaq or Nia. Don't know how you see that.

8. Cal Jeffrey

Cal Jeffrey TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,640   +397

Must be on your end. Just tested all links and they go where intended. Try clearing your browser cache maybe.

9. texasrattler

Don't know they aren't there anymore. Different links are there now n are working but they weren't the same links as before.

10. Cal Jeffrey

Weird. Not sure what is going on on your end but we didn't change any of the links.

11. texasrattler

Related links weren't there anymore just similar topics but those worked.

12. texasrattler

Just clicked on on the original link and found related links, all they do is take me back to original story, doesn't take me to the link described.

13. Cal Jeffrey

AH Yeah yeah yeah I see what you are talking about now. I'll let @Julio know. Thanks.

texasrattler likes this.
  14. texasrattler

My bad if I didn't say it properly. I know it wasn't a big deal but just was helping since I use the site a lot.

Cal Jeffrey likes this.
  15. Cal Jeffrey

No. We do appreciate the feedback. It turns out it was a problem affecting all article due to some changes we had made recently. Thanks to you letting us know about it, we were able to fix it. Thank you.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...