Lenovo announces 8-inch Miix2 tablet with Bay Trail, Windows 8.1 and Office 2013

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Lenovo is jumping head-first into the small tablet market with the Miix2, an 8-inch slate with an attractive feature set and a solid price to match. It’s powered by an Intel Bay Trail-T quad-core processor alongside 2GB of LP-DDR3 memory and your choice of 32GB or 64GB of flash storage.

The Windows 8.1 device – which includes Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 – weighs just 0.77 pounds and measures 8.35mm thick which is slightly beefier than the 7.2mm iPad mini at 0.68 pounds. The 8-inch display features a 16:10 aspect ratio and operates at a resolution of 1,280 x 800. It’ll run Windows 8.1 and comes with integrated Bluetooth 4.0, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and 3G-GPS3 connectivity. There’s also a 5-megapixel camera on the rear and a 2-megapixel front-facing unit for video chat and the like.

lenovo miix2 bay trail windows office microsoft tablet windows 8.1 mixx 2

Battery life is rated at just seven hours which is a bit disappointing given the new Intel processor. Elsewhere, Lenovo is offering an optional $20 bundle that includes a smart cover similar to the one Apple sells for the iPad and a stylus / pen. The latter accessory is capacitive and does not use an active digitizer, we’re told.

The Lenovo Mixx2 will be available by the end of the month starting at $299 for the 32GB model. Expect to pay $349 for the higher-capacity 64GB model directly through Lenovo and at select retailers. Either way you slice it, that’s an attractive price given the hardware and included software and could be the small Windows 8 tablet to beat this holiday season.

Permalink to story.

So is it windows RT or full blown 8.1? I couldn't quite work that out from the article.

So is it windows RT or full blown 8.1? I couldn't quite work that out from the article.

Full Windows Pro, since it is running on an Atom platform, which is in the x86 processor family. This one is similar to the new ASUS Transformer recently announced, and Dell's new 8" tablets.

You can say its full windows bye the procesor only, RT= ARM cpu , 8.1= intel

Dell's Venue 8 Pro 8" Tablet is lighter (400 grams), longer battery life (~10 hours), has Active Synaptics digitizer, same resolution, and all that for the same price as this one!!!

The only side for the Venue 8 Pro, is that it's a little thicker at 8.9mm, but it's thin enough in my opinion.

The Lenovo is 350 grams, so the Dell is heavier. I'm sure the weight difference is mostly in the battery, which is why the Dell has a longer battery life.

What I'm waiting to see is whether the Lenovo has a keyboard cover.

Back