Lenovo, Asus commit to Android for upcoming tablets

Jos

Staff

Another day, another manufacturer announcing a forthcoming Android tablet -- or rather make that two. In what could be a huge boon for Google's mobile platform, both Asus and Lenovo confirmed plans to use Android in their upcoming tablet devices. Asus in particular had already begun work on a 12" Eee Pad equipped with a full install of Windows 7 Home Premium, and a 10" model running Windows Embedded Compact 7. Plans for the first seemingly remain unchanged, for now, but the latter has reportedly dropped Microsoft's OS in favor of whichever flavor of Android is available at launch.

The company hasn't shared much in the way of specs but unofficial sources claim the slim and light device will include a webcam, SD slot for expansion, HDMI-out via an optional docking cradle, and around 10 hours of battery life. The tablet will offer optional 3G for a persistent Internet connection, and NetbookNews.de claims the company is using 2.2 Froyo for their prototype, but since the Eee Pad won't be on the market until early 2011 it will likely ship with Android 3.0.

Providing even less details Lenovo also came forward with some news about their future mobile plans. Specifically, the company will release an Android-based tablet later this year dubbed LePad, which will pair nicely with their LePhone smartphone and presumably other products under the same nomenclature. Previously, the company had showed off the Skylight smartbook and the innovative IdeaPad U1 Hybrid but delayed both products to rethink its strategy.

Permalink to story.

Interesting read! I wonder if M$ realizes that they are in serious danger with their latest pricing schemes? Android (and linux in general) are starting to get mainstream appeal and it won't be long before we start seeing mainstream software with Windows and Linux versions.

Crossing my fingers!

It's not just pricing that is hosing MS... Full Win7 is just too power hungry compared to Android or tight Linux distros, making for poor battery life performance. And their mobile OS that has been flopping in and out of publicity as a small nimble OS aimed at mobile platforms is just not surfacing in reality - and even if it does, the last reports I remember seeing showed that it wouldn't run actual Windows apps, but require mobile versions (like Windows Mobile has for ages). Microsoft will be shambling slowly out of the starting gate light years behind these other mobile OS platforms that have huge libraries of apps already built.

Well full Win7 isn't really designed for a netbook device. I run it on my Dv6 and I do agree that I could probably get better battery life out of a basic Ubuntu install, but then I'd be struggling with drivers and all the other issues that makes Linux more of a hobbyists OS than a user's OS.

I do agree that Microsoft is wayyyy behind the curve on mobile dominance though and I doubt they will catch up. Price does come into play when you are paying more for the Windows operating system on a device than the device itself costs. Android is a good direction to go in and this is really what Linux in general needed - a dominant mainstream company to throw its weight behind it.

Now people are saying "Oh, this is Linux? This is something that I can really use and works for me. I like this".

Heh, that is very true, Zilpha... It's interesting how Google will admit that Android is based on Linux to the enthusiast/technophile crowd, but they tend to keep that little nugget under wraps for the general consumer base. There's so much "oh Linux is a bear to work with" bad press out there, it's been a very smart strategy to distance themselves from the Linux stigma, while utilizing all of the strengths of Linux to improve the product. Well, can't say it surprises me to see Google doing something clever, seems to be their forte lately.

Yes it does seem like Linux is moving up a bit and maybe this is how it will get a foothold in the consumer market. Microsoft on the other hand has been slow out of the gate many times before but they eventually catch up and become a player (Office Suite, AD (LDAP), Hyper-V (VM), etc).

Microsoft could make this happen. They got MCE interface they could develop one for these pads, books, tablet, slate, viewer or whatever they have to call them. China company would ship one to me for less than $200 USD plus shipping. Of course I have to wait 30 days to get the item.They don't use MS OS 7 on it more like Google OS. What they have is really neat though. They only come with 1 year warranty though it would be one-way deal since then I would have to ship the item back since no USA vendor would support the device. So if someone here would sell these devices cheap would be ideal.

am sick of PAD suffix, cant they use TAB instead (short for TABLET) - qqq

Back