Lenovo reveals Yoga Pad Pro Android tablet that doubles as a portable monitor

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Lenovo has confirmed the Android tablet that was spotted on Weibo earlier this month. And while the name is slightly different from what was predicted, it really does have an HDMI input, allowing it to double as an external display for any compatible device, including the Nintendo Switch.

It was assumed that the device seen on the Chinese media site was the Yoga X, which previous rumors claimed would be capable of being used as a second monitor. Gizmochina reports that the actual name is the Yoga Pad Pro, a 13-inch Android tablet with a unique feature.

While there are several Android tablets with HDMI outputs, those with HDMI inputs are almost non-existent. The Yoga Pad Pro, however, features a Micro HDMI port in the grip section, allowing it to work as a display for anything that supports HDMI out. Lenovo has been pushing the tablet as a portable, large screen for the Nintendo Switch.

The Lenovo Yoga Pad Pro boasts plenty of impressive specs beyond that HDMI input: a 13-inch 2K LTPS LCD display with a 16:10 aspect ratio, a 100% sRGB color gamut, Dolby Vision, and HDR 10. Another unique feature is the kickstand on the back that can rotate 180 degrees, allowing it to be hung on a wall.

The Yoga Pad Pro is powered by the Snapdragon 870, a more powerful update over the Snapdragon 865+ found in our top 'Best Tablets' top Android pick: the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+. It also comes with 8GB of RAM, 256GB storage, a 10,200mAh battery, USB-C 3.1, Wi-Fi 6, and four Dolby Atmos-compatible speakers. It does lack a rear camera, surprisingly, but there’s a front-facing 8MP cam with a TOF sensor for face unlock. As with Apple’s iPads, a stylus can be bought separately.

The Yoga Pad Pro launches in China for 3,299 yuan (~$517) on May 31. No word yet if it will be available outside the country.

Permalink to story.

That's actually rather useful: Android can be useful but for some things I would much rather have something like a Raspberry Pi with me instead.

Even something as simple as putting this on your laptop bag to have both a tablet for you to read or watch some media when you have down time but also a secondary screen when you need to get some work done is a great concept. Definitively could end up replacing my ipad 7 with one of these.

All major tablet makers should take note of this feature. I don't think it cost a lot to implement this, but it can be very useful to be able to use a good display on a tablet as a monitor.

If only Apple's iMac could rediscover this (previously available) feature?

Only Apple can gt away with charging you $ 2000 for a retina display with zero inputs.

You can actually natively use an iPad as a second screen for Mac via USB cable, just don't expect it to work for anything else outside of Apple walled garden though.

You can actually natively use an iPad as a second screen for Mac via USB cable, just don't expect it to work for anything else outside of Apple walled garden though.

I'm not talking about the cheap 10" tablet, I'm talking about the fully-calibrated Pro 27" 5k display that you cant' easily connect passively to anything else!

You have to spend exactly the same anytime you can't stand the performance (without the benefit of reusing that pro display as a second MATCHING monitor!)

But people keep on paying...because Apple!

Last edited:
Definitely a neat feature for certain users. It can be easily used as a second screen on the go and home, possibly to display stuff from a smartphone too. The stand is nifty and the chipset powerful.

I'm not talking about the cheap 10" tablet, I'm talking about the fully-calibrated Pro 27" 5k display that you cant' easily connect passively to anything else!

You have to spend exactly the same anytime you can't stand the performance (without the benefit of reusing that pro display as a second MATCHING monitor!)

But people keep on paying...because Apple!
As I remember they cannot implement TDM on the 5k panel because the DP ports are not fast enough. Words on the horizon is that now we're having DP 1.4 Apple might be adding it back. But I am also sceptical because Apple is also doing a shift into ARM at the moment so hard to imagine they are going to support TDM with ARM.

Back