Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet launches in the U.S., starts at $500

Jos

Staff

As promised, Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet is now available in the U.S. sporting Android 3.1 and prices starting at $499 -- $20 more than we heard last month. The business-oriented device is powered by Nvidia's Tegra 2 dual-core processor operating at 1GHz and 1GB of system memory, while its 10.1-inch IPS display features a resolution of 1280 x 800 coated with Corning Gorilla glass.

In terms of features it includes the now standard front- and rear-facing cameras, Wi-Fi, a mini-HDMI output, a full-sized SD card slot for removable media, and a full-sized USB port for storage and other peripherals. What sets the ThinkPad apart, however, are the enterprise-oriented tools like remote administration, including the ability to wipe the device in case it gets lost, support for Cisco VPN, and full device encryption that extends to the SD card. There's also an optional $30 'digitizer pen', and for an extra $100, you can get a keyboard folio case that has an optical Trackpoint.

Lenovo is preloading the tablet with 25 applications meant to provide a well-rounded out-of-the-box experience. Some of them include Documents to Go, Oovoo for video conferencing, Netflix, and Kindle for Android.

The Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet is available in 16GB ($499), 32GB ($569), and 64GB ($669) configurations and should begin shipping on Monday. No 3G mobile broadband options will be available until October.

Permalink to story.

doubt that's going to happen. For one, it's running an OS that isn't new and is one of the major mobile OSes. And two, it has decent hardware. Don't think we'll be seeing large price drops on this one...

Yeah, I know it was more of a joke if anything.

Seriously though, I'm a huge fan of the Android platform. But matching Apple's offerings I just don't see many of these tablets selling. Samsung, Motorola, Lenovo, etc.. really should drop their tablets in the sub $300 range. Something to get a large customer base, Android tablets lack apps because of this. Developers are sticking exclusively to the iPad currently.

matrix86 said:
doubt that's going to happen. For one, it's running an OS that isn't new and is one of the major mobile OSes. And two, it has decent hardware. Don't think we'll be seeing large price drops on this one...

Lol, that was <i>clearly</i> sarcasm.

I actually can see this tablet being successful since it actually CAN be used as a laptop/desktop replacement for most people vs. iPad, which is in my opinion a toy (and yes, I do have the iPad and it is delegated to my kids).

The USB/HDMI/SD slots make a huge difference and the keyboard with digitizer is also a nice touch.

I love the styling of this tablet. Simple, elegant, functional... I look forward to a TS review.

Great. I was hoping that a decent vendor would come out with a real tablet for real men with real brains.
Yes I have an apple sucks iPad but it is so nothing but crap useless toy that my grade school son throw it to his younger brother for paperweight purposes.
I have been using Toshiba all throughout. I would like to use another brand for my tablet purposes. So I did not buy a Toshiba tablet. Neither did I sought the blackberry since my phone is blackberry. Thanks Lennovo for giving the thinkpad tablet, a tablet for real men with real brains.

Well obviously some people don't know how to use (and would be better off without) an iPad..... I just can't wait for the complaints to start up about this tablet. It still won't beat the iPad.... GET OVER IT!

As a real man, with a real brain, I would assume you would be able to manage grammar and syntax. While this assumption takes into account a general lack of care given the mode - a blog - I would still expect it to be functional. Despite this, I think the new thinkpad shows great promise.

Back