Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet Review

After having such a high failure rate with about 20 different Lenovo ThinkPad T500 series laptops at my company, it'll be a long time before I consider purchasing anything from Lenovo. Lenovo didn't stand behind their products and pretty much told me it was our fault for the failure rates. Almost 60% of the hard drives have failed within the first year. Granted these things will use SSD, but with customer service like that - do you really trust them at that point in time?

ibgarrett said:
After having such a high failure rate with about 20 different Lenovo ThinkPad T500 series laptops at my company, it'll be a long time before I consider purchasing anything from Lenovo. Lenovo didn't stand behind their products and pretty much told me it was our fault for the failure rates. Almost 60% of the hard drives have failed within the first year. Granted these things will use SSD, but with customer service like that - do you really trust them at that point in time?

Nope, I wouldn't trust them at all. I had a similar issue with Dell and a bunch of desktops. Out of 30 12 of them had a failed hard drive in the first 6 months, some most failed after 2 months. When I spoke to Dell they pretty much said I was at fault. I don't really know how they can claim that since they are litterally put underneath the desk and never seen again? Will never buy from them again...

It's a nice little unit, well built and feels VERY sturdy. Personally I don't see the Pen getting too much use for some people but overall it does what it needs to do...

Only thing I major dislike is the buttons are very hard press style, then again its prob the original design of the unit (I'm sure touch ones kept getting "miss touched").

I am thinking of getting the tablet, I previously had a X61 Tablet which proved very useful. I am currently running a W701 Workstation Laptop, I have had a few issues but sorted most out my self with the correction installation of the OS and Drivers.

I had the DELL Streak 7 and it was quick but the hardware and software issues was beyond keeping the the troubled tablet. Right now testing out the Toshiba Thrive AT100. It's slower than the Streak 7 though for a 10.1" and now Toshiba coming out with it's replacement the Toshiba Epic AT200 thinner and they're gone for the new TI Core MPU. Lenovo Tablet history doesn't hold water too they all have some sort of issues. First Gen tablets seem to be more of try-and-error. If you start of have issues with your tablet then you know it's time to take it back before it's too late.

burty117 said:
ibgarrett said:

Nope, I wouldn't trust them at all. I had a similar issue with Dell and a bunch of desktops. Out of 30 12 of them had a failed hard drive in the first 6 months, some most failed after 2 months. When I spoke to Dell they pretty much said I was at fault. I don't really know how they can claim that since they are litterally put underneath the desk and never seen again? Will never buy from them again...

We have the T410 and T510, soon to upgrade to the 20's but if it was up to me we would go back to Dell. The support from Lenovo is absolutely rubbish. The T410 screens are really flimsy and keep breaking (probably why this model is so chuncky) and Lenovo had the cheek to say they had not come accross this problem and tried to blame us for not using them correctly. Never had any issues with Dell.

I have been using one for a week and cannot say I am happy with it.
Battery life is a real problem as is the random shut downs. I lose about 80% of battery with only 90 mins of use. It seems to also take forever to charge, especially when it is in standby mode.
I was hoping for so much more

Failure of the Thinkpad tab to recognise USB thumb drives causing me to return a 2nd unit 11-29-11. OOne of several devices did connect on a try after doing a total reset and on first boot up without activiating the wifi or Google log in etc. But an old USB 1 drive and and new current USB 64 Gb never would register, neither a 32 Gb fast SD card on a card reader plugged in, The regualr USB port is more important to me than connecting anything via the micro USB connector. This is unfortunately a fail; will have to consider another brand. - SteveN NYC

Until tablets get 500gigs minimum storage at a reasonable price, I won't touch them. They cost as much as a laptop, without the function.
I don't need small portable devices this badly.

About a month ago I was researching tablets to determine if that is something I would find productive and fun. I looked at all the popular offerings from ASUS, Samsung, Toshiba, Motorola, and Acer. While doing some internet searching and research, I stumbled across the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet. Comparing features and cost, The ThinkPad tablet seemed the better value.

A month later, I'm very happy with my choice. I was able to find an online store selling the 32GB version for $489, and the keyboard folio for $94. I use it fairly extensively at work, taking it to meetings, using it for email, and even reviewing documents. I use the Citrix client to connect to a remote/virtual Windows server and display Windows screens. The battery life has been fantastic. I haven't yet had to plug in the charger before the day ends. The screen is probably not as glitsy as some of the others, but I think it has some advantages as well.

The pressure sensitive touch is really nice, and works well. It doesn't require a special pen like the iPad does. The notebook app is good. The handwriting recognition is neat, but not practical. Formatting your notes with the translation on is very cumbersome. That said, I use it quite often to capture notes with the translator off, and I like it a lot.

Performance is really good. Browsing performs just as well on this as it does on my dual-core 3GB laptop (purchased 6 months ago).

I didn't find some of the preloaded apps useful, but they were easy enough to remove.

My biggest complaint is that Lenovo is a very poor marketing company. This product isn't available at any major electronics retail brick&morter store (e.g. BestBuy). I firmly beieve this product is better than other better selling Android tablets, and gives the iPad a run for its money. Seems ashame that such a great product is being so poorly marketed.

Back