Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon available August 21, starts at $1,399

Jos

Staff

Back in May while announcing a wave of notebook updates that embraced Intel’s third-generation Ivy Bridge processors, Lenovo also gave us a first look at their upcoming ThinkPad X1 Carbon. Now the Chinese firm is finally offering a specific release date along with pricing details for what they claim is the “lightest 14-inch Ultrabook in the world: it’ll be available from August  21 starting at $1,399.

Aimed at business users looking for an ultra-portable yet capable machine, the new ThinkPad X1 features a lightweight form factor constructed from carbon fiber materials, bringing the total weight to around 3 pounds. It also flaunts a sleek profile measuring just 18.8 millimeters thick at its thickest point.

The base $1,399 model includes a 1.7GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 128GB of solid-state storage and 4GB of RAM (up to 8GB supported). Additionally there are three other pre-configured options: a $1,499 model that upgrades the processor to a 1.8GHz Core i5-3427U, a $1,649 variant that doubles storage with a 256GB SSD, and the range topping model with a 2.0GHz Core i7-3667U and a 256GB SSD for $1,849.

All of them offer a 14-inch, 1,600 x 900 anti-glare display and a decent array of ports, including one mini DisplayPort, a couple of USB ports (only one is 3.0), a 4-in-1 SD card reader,  and Ethernet via a USB dongle in order to keep the thin profile. Other features include a backlit chiclet-style keyboard, a large trackpad, up to 6.3 hours of battery life, optional 3G, 720p HD webcam with face tracking and a fingerprint reader.

Permalink to story.

You will overpay for the ThinkPad's but they are well built.
We bought seven T410's and T400's a couple years ago, they get throughly used and abused here at the Hospital and have held up well.

The X1 Carbon is very nice, sad to say if you compare it to the original X1, there is a lot more flex and doesn't feel as solid. Love the bump in battery and the nicer trackpad though!

Back