Lenovo unveils ultra-affordable Moto C, Moto C Plus smartphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Lenovo on Monday officially unveiled the Moto C and Moto C Plus, two of the most affordable Moto smartphones ever conceived (and the subject of multiple rumors as of late).

The entry-level Moto C features a 5-inch display with a resolution of 854 x 480 pixels that’s powered by a quad-core MediaTek processor alongside 1GB of RAM and up to 16GB of local storage (expandable via microSD card slot) as well as a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 2-megapixel selfie shooter.

The slightly beefier Moto C Plus includes a 5-inch, 1280 x 720 panel, a quad-core MediaTek CPU mated to as much as 2GB of RAM and 16GB of built-in storage (again, expandable via microSD slot). This model includes a higher-quality 8-megapixel rear shooter, a 2-megapixel camera up front and a sizable 4,000mAh battery (the smaller Moto C only comes with a 2,350mAh battery).

Both handsets will ship running Android 7.0 and be offered in your choice of red, white, gold and black.

Pricing starts at an incredibly affordable €89 (just under $100) for the Moto C 3G with 1GB RAM and 8GB of storage (the 4G variant will command €10 more). The Moto C Plus, meanwhile, starts at €119 (around $130) with 1GB of RAM and 16GB of storage. Look for them to arrive later this spring.

The only “issue,” if you can call it that, is that Motorola / Lenovo doesn’t appear to have any immediate plans to bring the devices to the US. In announcing the handsets, only Latin America, Asia Pacific and European markets were mentioned.

Permalink to story.

I wish they'd stick a keyboard and trackpad on that C Plus and call it the new Q. Been a long time since we had an affordable portrait QWERTY smartphone.

I wish they'd stick a keyboard and trackpad on that C Plus and call it the new Q. Been a long time since we had an affordable portrait QWERTY smartphone.
Welcome to the future, where prediction keyboard sliders are able to type faster than your 2 thumbs. Get over it.

Welcome to the future, where prediction keyboard sliders are able to type faster than your 2 thumbs. Get over it.
unless of course you have thumbs bigger than toothpicks, in which case my phone autocorrects about 50% of the words I type, 20-30% of those already being correctly typed to a different word. Its *****ic to tell people to "get over it" when theres demand for a product. reminds me of the guy who launched the xbox one telling people who didnt have solid or reliable internet connections to get over it and buy an xbox 360 instead.

@psycros you can get blackberry privs pretty cheap now, not quite THAT cheap but yea.

Hmmmmm ..... despite these simple issues, it's a pretty darn good price and I will be surprised if Consumer Cellular doesn't jump onto this deal for their flagship phones!

unless of course you have thumbs bigger than toothpicks, in which case my phone autocorrects about 50% of the words I type, 20-30% of those already being correctly typed to a different word. Its *****ic to tell people to "get over it" when theres demand for a product. reminds me of the guy who launched the xbox one telling people who didnt have solid or reliable internet connections to get over it and buy an xbox 360 instead.

@psycros you can get blackberry privs pretty cheap now, not quite THAT cheap but yea.

I'm actually holding out for the KEYOne despite its indefensible price point and stupid name, LOL. I almost bought the PRIV but at the time it was within a few dollars of a SGS7 which has that keyboard accessory and better hardware. Looking back, I wish I'd went with the PRIV - the Galaxy's software is absolutely *awful*. They can't even sort contacts by last name first, FFS. Nice job with that troll, btw..saved me the trouble :)

If they do bring it to North America (for me the United States) and AT&T sells it for use of an AT&T GoPhone (which is AT&T's no-contract smart phone/plan, for those that don't know; the speeds are amazing and you get to choose (and even change whenever you want/need) the "monthly" fee are rather reasonable, I say "monthly" cuz you only have to pay every 90-days plus you get roll-over (4G LTE) data, which I think is great. But that's just me. Please don't spam me or this forum with hate comments/replies

Not necessarily. Maybe with basic conversation and someone who is really good with swipe, but you add in any sort of complexity and error correction and then the physical keyboard is way faster. Besides, some people just prefer feeling the keys they type on. Why are you so against that?

Why are you so against that?
I'm not AGAINST it, it's just that it's exactly like with USB C, people are reluctant to change while change for the most part is good, it drives us to better things.
Maybe with basic conversation and someone who is really good with swipe, but you add in any sort of complexity and error correction and then the physical keyboard is way faster.
It's like with anything in life, if you use it constantly you can write really fast but, using a thumb keyboard and using swipe-style and both regularly, you can type much faster on swipe, as you start using it and giving it time you build up the dictionary with whatever words you like using, bringing the correction time to almost nonexistent for the most part.
unless of course you have thumbs bigger than toothpicks, in which case my phone autocorrects about 50% of the words I type, 20-30% of those already being correctly typed to a different word.
Well if you like to smash your thumb against the phone that's your cup of tea. As thick are your hands are, there is an initial point of contact with the screen, you don't need toothpick-like hands to use a touchscreen, just a tiny bit of fine motor skills (This was translated through google so I'm not sure if that's the word).
Its *****ic to tell people to "get over it" when theres demand for a product.
Yeah, let's keep developing everything in USB 2 because that's the standard that people demand, damned developers and their new USB C standards...

I really like the red color this phone comes in, I really which all devices came in red (&/or any color that you want)

Yeah, let's keep developing everything in USB 2 because that's the standard that people demand, damned developers and their new USB C standards...
Theres a pretty big difference between industry standards and niche products.

Well if you like to smash your thumb against the phone that's your cup of tea. As thick are your hands are, there is an initial point of contact with the screen, you don't need toothpick-like hands to use a touchscreen, just a tiny bit of fine motor skills (This was translated through google so I'm not sure if that's the word).

maybe its kind of wierd, but the surface of my thumb is pretty wide and is only a little convex, so pinpointing that initial point of contact is pretty difficult unless I slow down to typing 1/4 speed, in which case I might as well enjoy a physical keyboard.
Alot of autocorrects also take into consideration the point at which you touch each letter, so I often have the damn software changing words ive typed correctly, not changing words that are pretty obviously one letter off, or changing words drastically differently from the intended one. IDK why but every autocorrect ive had minus iOS default has been garbage.

I'm not AGAINST it, it's just that it's exactly like with USB C, people are reluctant to change while change for the most part is good, it drives us to better things.

Again, its completely different. industry standard vs niche product. Just because a product isnt for everyone doesnt mean its not for some people.

Again, its completely different. industry standard vs niche product. Just because a product isnt for everyone doesnt mean its not for some people.
You keep repeating the niche product... how many phones from big brands are there with a physical keyboard? How many of those are high end? There might be a need for the physical keyb one but it's a niche product.

Maybe we started with the wrong foot, again, not against it, but it's wonderful once you get the hang of it. It happens when you have to travel somewhere and you get a new computer, with a different keyboard layout, at first you hate it, you keep trying to type the same keys, fast forward a week and you are all set.

You keep repeating the niche product... how many phones from big brands are there with a physical keyboard? How many of those are high end? There might be a need for the physical keyb one but it's a niche product.

Maybe we started with the wrong foot, again, not against it, but it's wonderful once you get the hang of it. It happens when you have to travel somewhere and you get a new computer, with a different keyboard layout, at first you hate it, you keep trying to type the same keys, fast forward a week and you are all set.
ive been typing on digital keyboards for 8 years and it still sucks ;) ive spent many months at a time trying different configurations.

I never said all high end phones needed a keyboard? You were the one that told anyone who wanted a physical keyboard to get over it...one device (well, preferrably a lower end one with a physical keyboard as well as a higher end one, so I guess two) is really all thats needed. Im perfectly fine with getting a blackberry, but your only options are their slightly overpriced high end devices or outdated devices.

I know you can add to the dictionary but I still spend more time fixing mistakes from swipe than I do with a physical keyboard. And yes I have learned to adapt and use it but it still isn't faster, not for me. I've been using swipe for well over five years. I still have an old Motorola Droid 4 and it is just easier and faster to type on.

Now BB had some genius with their Pri model I believe it was, where the physical keyboard was also touch sensitive, so you could "swipe" over keys to type as well. That hybrid model is the best of both worlds, because sometimes swipe is faster.

Back