Lexar starts shipping 64GB, 128GB SDXC cards

Emil

Staff

Lexar Media has announced that it is now shipping its Lexar Professional Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC) 133x memory card in 64GB ($200) and 128GB ($330) capacities. The latter is an industry first, meaning that you won't find 128GB SDXC cards from anyone else.

With these larger capacities, Lexar Professional 133x SDXC cards are better for shooting continuous, rapid-fire images as well as extended lengths of 1080p HD video. They also offer a Class 10 speed rating with a minimum guaranteed speed of 133x (20MBps), a limited lifetime warranty, and free technical support. This Lexar series also comes with the company's Image Rescue software, which helps recover lost or deleted photo and video files.

"We saw a demand for a professional card that would allow photographers to not only capture more high-resolution images and HD video, but to also take advantage of the full capabilities of their high-performance digital SLRs and camcorders," Pachi Chen-Wong, senior product marketing manager at Lexar Media, said in a statement. "With the new Lexar Professional SDXC cards, we developed a product that will enhance the professional photography workflow. With capacities of 64GB and 128GB, photographers can capture, store and transfer more images and HD video in one place than ever before."

Permalink to story.

I need the speed my 300x CF card has to keep up with my D700's buffer when shooting RAW. Those 133x cards would choke considerably sooner. That and I'm not a fan at putting all my eggs in one basket with a card so large, so I'll keep my 8GB/4GB backup cards. =)

"but your D700 can't shoot video!" This is true, but even then if you're shooting hours and hours of video, I'd much rather have multiple cards, so in the event that one of them breaks/gets lost I'll still have content, or at the least a replacement card.

Of course I'm butthurt that CF cards are a dying breed because they are (generally) faster, more robust, but more complex to manufacture. I'll say this though, I've had CF cards survive the wash and dryer, being stepped on/"crushed", and I've never lost one. Can't say the same for the SD cards I've used lol.

Now THAT's a lot of pictures. Even in HD.

I started filming in HD the other day, though I never realized how much capacity it really needs. A 1GbB SD card could only hold 40 sec. continuous imagery. Only 20 sec. changing imagery!

All in all = A lot of clipping and pasting using media software... :(

Back