LG announces 3D TV and Blu-ray bundle with free glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Like it or not, a flurry of 3D-equipped consumer electronics is rolling in – and fast. In just a few short months, holiday-decked shopping centers will stock 3D alternatives to most products available with a standard LCD display, and you can expect industry titans such as LG to blitz the market with various home entertainment packages.

The Korean manufacturer announced today that it will reward you for buying a new HDTV and Blu-ray setup. When customers purchase an Infinia LX6500 or LX9500 LED HDTV with a 3D Blu-ray player, the company will throw in a pair of 3D active shutter glasses. The "1-2-3D bundle" will also include a $100 instant rebate and a mail-in coupon for a free copy of IMAX Under the Sea 3D.

Sony, Panasonic and Samsung are planning or have already announced similar 3D starter kits, with discounted TVs, Blu-ray players, videos, and in Sony's case, PlayStation games and consoles.

Permalink to story.

Has any reader here at TechSpot bought a 3D HDTV yet? I work in the IT industry, have plenty of IT friends with six-figure incomes, so money really isn't that big of an issue. But not one person I know has shown the slightest interest in buying one, much less actually laid out the cash for a set.

Be curious to see if ANYONE has yet....

Regardless, $20 says a report surfaces sometime in Q1 2011 about the record adoption rate of 3D consumer goods. :) Takers?

"Regardless, $20 says a report surfaces sometime in Q1 2011 about the record adoption rate of 3D consumer goods."

Of course there will be! And that report will be funded and sponsored by the TV and blu-ray industry. I'll take a pass on the bet. ;)

hello ...

I would have gone for it if was available in my part of the world ... pfff!

yet I used to be an early adopter, now I'd rather wait for the best stable & cheaper package LOL, but for sure i'll go 3D ;)

cheers!

Matthew said:
Regardless, $20 says a report surfaces sometime in Q1 2011 about the record adoption rate of 3D consumer goods. :) Takers?

I bet a copy of crysis that there will be a report about how slow sales are going Q1 2011 =)

Wait, wait.. they are throwing in a FREE pair of glasses that are required to watch 3D content? How generous of them. That would imply that other companies are not including the glasses, and, if so, sounds a bit like the whole iPhone 4 fiasco. If you want your device to function as it was intended, you have to shell out extra money (for the glasses in this case or the bumper in the iPhone case).

Well I get the phone cover thing, but there's plenty of situations that require other services in order to use a product. Cars need gas, HDTV need HD service, so there are plenty of situations that require "accessories"

I think your comment raises a larger point about how complicated and expensive our consumer driven society has become.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back