LG announces Super UHD LCD TV lineup featuring Nano Cell technology

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Televisions always have – and perhaps probably always will be – among the top draws at CES. Eyeballs naturally gravitate towards huge, colorful displays and there’s no reason to believe this year’s show will be any different.

Then again, TVs are everywhere at CES. What’s going to make one brand's lineup stand out among the sea of other drool-worthy sets on the show floor? For LG, the answer is something the company calls Nano Cell technology.

The South Korean electronics giant on Monday announced its third generation LG Super UHD TV lineup utilizing Nano Cell LCD technology, a variation of quantum dot technology. LG says the tech employs uniformly-sized particles measuring approximately one nanometer in diameter to create more subtle, accurate colors that can be viewed from a wider range of angles.

In fact, LG says there is virtually no color difference for viewers seated directly in front of the screen and those watching from a 60 degree angle. Nano Cells are apparently able to achieve such results by absorbing surplus lightwaves, a capability that helps to filter distinct colors with much greater precision. This characteristic helps reduce color fading and image instability as well as on-screen glow for a better picture in brightly-lit environments.

The new sets – models SJ9500, SJ8500 and SJ8000 – also use webOS 3.5 and support multiple HDR technologies including Dolby Vision, HDR10 and Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) and come ready to support Advanced HDR by Technicolor. There’s even a new HDR Effect feature designed to improve brightness and enhance contrast ratios of SDR content on a frame-by-frame basis.

More details including pricing and availability will come later this week at CES.

Permalink to story.

I was hoping that by now we would have some VR sets offer a better experience as an immersive TV, but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case, not yet anyway.

If anyone has tried - please share your experience watching movies through VR-s. How does it compare with a high-quality 65" OLED or similar panels?

Is TV like this new LG worth buying over a good VR set for movies? (especially when room space is an issue).

Last edited:
I was hoping that by now we would have some VR sets offer a better experience as an immersive TV, but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case, not yet anyway.

If anyone has tried - please share your experience watching movies through VR-s. How does it compare with a high-quality 65" OLED or similar panels?

Is TV like this new LG worth buying over a good VR set for movies? (especially when room space is an issue).

As much fun as VR is or can be it's just lacking in the social aspect of watching TV, for personal amusement VR can and will likely become the best way to enjoy media or games, but if more than one person wants to enjoy something a beautiful TV will always be the way to go.

Not to mention sound quality of a VR headset is never going to be comparable to a good 7.1 system, you just can't feel the bass, and now that Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are becoming more and more widely available the home theater as I see it isn't going anywhere fast.

If space is your biggest factor, and possibly noise pollution, VR isn't a terrible solution, just as I said previously it isn't a very social way to entertain guests.

True depth perception, and images moving when your not actually moving will keep VR from becoming mainstream for awhile. These things cause nausea and eye fatigue. The eye cannot properly focus because the image appears further than it actually is. When the image being viewed moves left or right, but your inner ear doesn't send the signal to your brain that your actually moving you get motion sickness. If they overcome this, then VR will take off.

Fancy 128 K TV's? Meh! My old 1950's RCA, grainy black & white valve TV which I inherited and had until the early 2000's before off loading it like an utter fool to some grinning, fortunate soul for peanuts would draw more attention, and it would probably be worth more than any of the TV's at this years show. It's cabinet was hand crafted from Canadian Maple wood. Damn!!! I wish I still had it.

All I want is a 100" TV
Pro Tip: Just for you. That size is only useful if you sit a foot away from it, Any further away and a smaller screen will do just fine for anyone... anyone who knows that bragging and trying to impress everyone with embellished fairy tales is shallow, materialistic and superficial.

All I want is a 100" TV
You can order a generic, probably poor picture quality, 100" LCD LED backlit TV for $1200 from Alibaba. Enjoy.

I'll WAGer that would fail in the "list all my stuff (real or imagined) at every opportunity and SHOUT how anyone who owns the alternative is Stupid" paradigm.
This PSA brought to you by the Ignore function - it is your friend if you remain in forum mode..

Back