1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

LG expects 15% decline in Q2 profits, ninth consecutive quarterly loss for mobile arm

By midian182 · 4 replies
Jul 8, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. In its earnings guidance report, LG said it expects a 652.2 billion won ($557 million) operating profit for the three months ending June. That’s a long way off analysts' expected 774 billion won and marks a 15.4 percent decline compared to the same period one year ago. Revenue is predicted to be 15.6 trillion won, up 4.1 percent YoY.

While LG did not provide a breakdown for each of its businesses, it’s the company’s troubled mobile arm that is the biggest problem. Analysts expect the unit will report an operating loss of 200 billion won for Q2, which would be the ninth consecutive quarter it has lost money.

It appears that Q2 will be a repeat of the previous quarter, which saw LG Mobile bring in its lowest level of revenue in roughly eight years. And while the V50 ThinQ 5G, which had its South Korea launch in May, initially did well in the country, interest has waned recently.

KB Securities analyst Kim Dong-won said (via ZDNet) that although LG’s home appliances business is expected to see improved profits, Samsung’s QLED line of TVs are becoming more popular as LG’s OLED televisions are seeing weaker-than-expected sales.

LG’s 15.4 percent YoY profit fall isn’t good, but it’s still better than the 56 percent drop Samsung is expecting—a result of declining DRAM and NAND chip prices.

Permalink to story.

2. ruid84

ruid84 TS Rookie

I would buy a new LG smartphone if they got rid of the ugly notch. As far as I am aware, this the only company(besides apple) who still keeps it. I cannot stand it. It's a shame, especially because they have the best smartphone audio (quad dac).

3. mctommy

mctommy TS Guru Posts: 303   +68

Even your appliance and tv division is doing bad? Yikes. It is expected of your mobile division since LG sucked for the last 4 years, following the footsteps of HTC.

Also with the tv price fixing of yester-years, profits don't come in as high anymore...

4. MasterMace

MasterMace TS Booster Posts: 89   +52

That's odd, that times out to be the exact point they locked down their batteries...

5. kissx

kissx TS Enthusiast Posts: 87   +7

I was stuck with LG G4 for 3 years. Had to get 3 phones replaced because of bootloops. the LG software was really bad on it.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...