LG has made an extravagant 105-inch curved Ultra HD TV

Scorpus

Staff member

ultra lcd lg tv television ultra hd ces 2014

If you think your 55-inch TV is a decent size, you might want to think again: LG has a 105-inch TV that's ready to be shown off, dwarfing whatever you have in your living room. The TV is both curved and Ultra HD, packing an impressive 11 million pixels into 25,470 square centimeters of screen real estate, making it more than three times the size of a standard 55-inch 1080p display.

Traditionally, the few curved TVs on the market have used OLED panels, however this particular model (the 105UB9) uses an LCD panel. Improved TFT technology has allowed even back-lighting across the curved surface, making it possible to use cheaper LCD technology for this display.

As you might have noticed, the TV uses an ultra-wide 21:9 "CinemaScope" aspect ratio with a resolution of 5120 x 2160, which is perfect for watching 'cinema widescreen' films. The added horizontal resolution means any 16:9 content will occupy the standard 3840 x 2160 Ultra HD space with black bars to either side.

LG will be showing off the display at CES 2014, which will be held next month in Las Vegas, ahead of public availability. There's no word on just how much this monstrous TV will cost, but it certainly won't be cheap.

Permalink to story.

It's just LG beating their chests showing off to people what they're capable of building and there's nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't be interested in the price sticker, or this product for that matter.

There's no word on just how much this monstrous TV will cost, but it certainly won't be cheap.
As much as I would love to have one of these, that is precisely why I will likely never have one.

I do have a question though. Does the 21:9 monitor/TV have a setting where a 16:9 projection can be cropped at the top and bottom eliminating the black sides?

"Do you get the lady with the TV aswell? xD"

If that's the case, I'll take the set! ...you can keep the TV :p

Imma get this for my computer, no need to have multiple monitors for immersive game play. I'll just set this 2 feet away from my face and get lost in the pixels.

I'll just set this 2 feet away from my face and get lost in the pixels.
A 105 inch 4k display from 2 feet away, you will definitely be able to see each pixel. Good luck counting them. I can only imagine when you get lost, thats what you would be doing.

A 105 inch 4k display from 2 feet away, you will definitely be able to see each pixel. Good luck counting them. I can only imagine when you get lost, thats what you would be doing.
I more likely think about the frustration you'd get playing games because at 2 feet away is like playing Battlefield 4 with huge tunnelvision. Owhh and don't forget the response time :p

Back