LG Optimus 2X: the first dual-core smartphone

Emil

Staff

LG Electronics has unveiled the LG Optimus 2X, the world's first smartphone with a dual-core processor. The LG Optimus 2X will be available in Korea next month with countries in Europe and Asia to follow. The phone will initially be released with Android 2.2 (codenamed Froyo) and will be upgradeable to Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread). The upgrade schedule to Gingerbread has yet to be announced.

Here is a picture of the phone and its key specifications:

• 1Ghz Dual-core Processor (NVIDIA Tegra 2)
  • 4-inch WVGA screen
  • 8GB memory (up to 32GB via microSD)
  • 1,500 mAh battery
  • 8 megapixel rear camera and 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • HDMI mirroring that expands content on external displays to full HD quality
  • 1080p MPEG-4/H.264 playback and recording

LG boasts that Nvidia's dual-core Tegra 2 system-on-a-chip makes browsing, gaming, and using applications faster, lets users multitask with virtually no screen lag, and has very low power consumption but high performance for playing video and audio. The LG Optimus 2X can connect wirelessly to any DLNA-compatible digital device (most are HDTVs). The smartphone also includes an accelerometer, gyroscopic sensor, and a Micro-USB port.

"Dual-core technology is the next leap forward in mobile technology so this is no small achievement to be the first to offer a smartphone utilizing this technology," Dr. Jong-seok Park, CEO and President of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company, said in a statement. "With unique features such as HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) mirroring and exceptional graphics performance, the LG Optimus 2X is proof of LG’s commitment to high-end smartphones in 2011."

Permalink to story.

Am I dreaming or something... imo this is definitely a must have phone for me, too bad I can't afford anything like this any time soon.

Do anyone remember the days where a phone was just a phone? And the phone ws the size of a VHS tape? OMG I can't believe I remember those days! lolz

The design looks very much like an iPhone 4. Not very original but good looking.

dummybait said:
princeton said:
800x480. Not interested.

what does this have to do with anything...???

I know why you chose your name...

LG makes the panel in the iphone 4. There is NO REASON their flagship phone should have the standard 800x480 res. It's obvious that LG can manufacture 1280x720 panels, they just choose not to.

You see, as the Optimus One gained much success as a bang for the buck phone, it's no wonder alot is getting hype over this phone, LG offered O1 with a price:performace ratio that no entry level phone surpassed. Who Knows what the O2x can offer? Say, A running contender for the iPhone4 with Half the price? who wont be interested?

LG's Optimus One is currently the leader in the entry level to midrange Android phone market. The 2X will probably enjoy similar success in the market. The only change I would want for the phone is a higher capacity battery. A 1,500-mAH battery is a lot in a regular candy bar or clam shell phone but not in a touch screen phone with full connectivity features.

800x480 isn't the problem IMO princton, it is the WVGA screen, they could have bought CBCD screens from Nokia to compete with Samsung's Super AMOLED offerings, and that would have made this phone pretty much perfect.

Archean said:
800x480 isn't the problem IMO princton, it is the WVGA screen, they could have bought CBCD screens from Nokia to compete with Samsung's Super AMOLED offerings, and that would have made this phone pretty much perfect.

Samsung 1280x720 AMOLED. Would be godly.

Back