LG to launch 32-inch 4K HDR10 monitor at CES 2017

Scorpus

Staff member

HDR televisions have been around for a little while now, but the technology is yet to hit PC monitors in a big way. That's all set to change at CES 2017, where LG has confirmed that they will be launching a 32-inch 4K monitor that supports the HDR10 standard.

The 32UD99 is aimed mostly at creative professionals and prosumers, with support for 95% of the DCI-P3 color space through a 10-bit panel capable of producing 1.07 billion colors. Some of LG's top-end monitors cover more than 98% of DCI-P3, so this won't be a flagship creative monitor for LG, but the inclusion of HDR10 capability is new and unique.

As LG will be fully revealing the 32UD99 at CES, the company hasn't unveiled its full set of specifications just yet. LG has stated that the monitor will connect to PCs via USB Type-C, and it will support charging laptops over a single cable while receiving picture data. The 32UD99 is also supposedly "well-equipped" for modern game consoles that support HDR, so presumably there will be a HDMI 2.0a port on this monitor as well.

We'll have to wait until CES to get details of when this monitor will launch, and at what price. With features like HDR10, this monitor will almost certainly cost more than your average 32-inch 4K display. With that said, we expect that LG won't be the only monitor manufacturer to show off HDR-capable PC monitors at CES this year, so there might be some competition in this space.

Permalink to story.

Any HDR gaming monitors?

At this point we are just looking to get regular HDR monitors. I've got a 10-bit panel right now but it isn't HDR because it doesn't support the insanely high brightness and adaptive backlight required for HDR.

First, that's a TV. Second, A Gaming monitor / TV needs either low response times or high refresh rates, that TV has neither.

http://4k.com/tv/samsung-ks8000-suhd-4k-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv-review-un55ks8000-un65ks8000/

when I asked for "gaming monitor" I did mean one with either FreeSync (preferably... so I could buy it together with Vega) or G-Sync (so I could use it with my current 1070). This display will probably fall into the same category as the LG 4k one... good only for TV show watching (not even movies, because for that you need 21:9.... which is also the best aspect for games) or work.

Still its a start for pc gaming which I don't do anymore but that is beyond my control and so my gaming is on ps4 pro on a 4k HDR LG television. Have to admit that HDR is quite amazing especially with explosions and sunrises and colours as well. Have really noticed it in The Last Of Us in scenery and such that side of things is quite exciting.

First, that's a TV. Second, A Gaming monitor / TV needs either low response times or high refresh rates, that TV has neither.

http://4k.com/tv/samsung-ks8000-suhd-4k-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv-review-un55ks8000-un65ks8000/

A TV is just a monitor with a tuner in it. This 'TV' has 60hz refresh @ 3840 x 2160 and 18ms response time.... not bad for most people. BF1 on my PC looks fantastic as does The Last of Us on PS4 Pro in HDR. Its great for gaming and movies I think.

A TV is just a monitor with a tuner in it. This 'TV' has 60hz refresh @ 3840 x 2160 and 18ms response time.... not bad for most people. BF1 on my PC looks fantastic as does The Last of Us on PS4 Pro in HDR. Its great for gaming and movies I think.

They are also made with B-Grade panels (except for the flagship TVs), larger pixels, higher response times, and features geared toward TV watching. Saying a TV is "just a monitor with a tuner in it" is like saying a bugatti is "just a faster car with a bigger engine in it".

18 ms is not a response time you want to have when gaming. It might be good for certain people who completely ignore obvious ghosting but isn't acceptable for anyone who specifically wants a screen for gaming, especially considering you can get monitors with response times of 1-2 ms, 120-144 Hz, and come with Free-Sync.

They are also made with B-Grade panels (except for the flagship TVs), larger pixels, higher response times, and features geared toward TV watching. Saying a TV is "just a monitor with a tuner in it" is like saying a bugatti is "just a faster car with a bigger engine in it".

lol, it (Bugatti) is tho... its just a fancy car with a W16 in the boot! (any way im a Pagani Huayra fan myself)

18 ms is not a response time you want to have when gaming. It might be good for certain people who completely ignore obvious ghosting but isn't acceptable for anyone who specifically wants a screen for gaming, especially considering you can get monitors with response times of 1-2 ms, 120-144 Hz, and come with Free-Sync.

I dont think 'most' people will notice 0.018ms, its perfectly fine for gaming.

...[ ]....18 ms is not a response time you want to have when gaming. It might be good for certain people who completely ignore obvious ghosting but isn't acceptable for anyone who specifically wants a screen for gaming, especially considering you can get monitors with response times of 1-2 ms, 120-144 Hz, and come with Free-Sync.
As long as you realize those 1ms response times are due to the fact those "gaming monitors" are TN panels. And I suppose as long as you further realize the "170 H X 160 V angle of view" is a gross exaggeration of the truth. So, as long as you're going to stare dead straight on at a TN panel, you're gold. For any other use, deal with the response time as a worthwhile trade for major increase of true angle of view, and much better color rendition.

Haters gonna hate.
That is certainly profound, at least as internet memes go. But what exactly does it have to do with the topic?

LG is about to launch first 32" 4K HDR 10 monitor and people are bitching around. 'Too long response time, too narrow view angles, just a TV with monitor capabilties' - really? This monitor does what it was advertised for, or at least I hope it will.

If you still do not see the referrence of my first post to this discussion, please, go thru the posts one by one and read them again.

LG is about to launch first 32" 4K HDR 10 monitor and people are bitching around. 'Too long response time, too narrow view angles, just a TV with monitor capabilties' - really? This monitor does what it was advertised for, or at least I hope it will.

If you still do not see the referrence of my first post to this discussion, please, go thru the posts one by one and read them again.
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, very next thing Pinky. Review your entire career at Techspot.

"Haters gonna hate", is still a mindless internet meme, no matter what foundation.was laid for its arrival.

As long as you realize those 1ms response times are due to the fact those "gaming monitors" are TN panels. And I suppose as long as you further realize the "170 H X 160 V angle of view" is a gross exaggeration of the truth. So, as long as you're going to stare dead straight on at a TN panel, you're gold. For any other use, deal with the response time as a worthwhile trade for major increase of true angle of view, and much better color rendition.

Yep, pretty much what you have to accept for response times that low. You can spend more money and get an IPS panel with 3-4ms response time and 144 Hz but once again the panel is likely to be only 6 bit like many korean panels are when over 60 Hz.

Back