LG to show off the world's first 21:9 curved IPS monitor at next month's IFA trade show

Shawn Knight

Staff member
IFA 2014 is fast approaching and in addition to the debut of the Galaxy Note 4, we can now expect to see the world's first 21:9 curved IPS monitor courtesy of LG.

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/57771-lg-to-show-off-the-worlds-first-219-curved-ips-monitor-at-next-months-ifa-trade-show.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

Route44

Wow. After seeing a curved UHD Samsung LED TV at my local hh gregg I have to say that the curved screens really do make a viewing difference for the better -- a lot better.

VitalyT

In other words, they are going to take their currently sold LG 34UM95, stretch it from 34" to 37" and then bend it? I don't think it is such a good idea. Everybody who bought it says the current size and resolution are already perfect (which is the same 3,440 x 1,440), which means for one thing, they are reducing the DPI by making the same screen wider. But that existing screen is already the perfect 21:9. I think all they can do is break it. Plus there is nothing exciting in seeing a bigger screen with still the same resolution. We'll see...

captaincranky

Wow. After seeing a curved UHD Samsung LED TV at my local hh gregg I have to say that the curved screens really do make a viewing difference for the better -- a lot better.

Really? With the screen divided into 3 parts by bezels. That's "better"?

Route44

I was referring to the UD screens I saw that were one piece. If they can do that with monitors it will be very nice indeed.

captaincranky

I was referring to the UD screens I saw that were one piece. If they can do that with monitors it will be very nice indeed.
The picture attendant to the article shows split bezels, thus 3 separate screens. Agreed, it would likely be better as a one piece curved. Isn't that what Imax is all about?

I expect the picture could be an artist's rendering, or whatever. But, it needs to reach consumers as a single piece screen

cliffordcooley

21:9?
Why don't they reduce it to 7:3?

Really? With the screen divided into 3 parts by bezels. That's "better"?
The image above is 3 x 21:9 monitors not 1 single 21:9 monitor. I don't know why you think the bezel would be an issue, unless using multiple monitors.

Edit: you ninja'd me before I posted. :)

captaincranky

21:9?
Why don't they reduce it to 7:3?
I guess for the same reason they never reduced "16:10" to "8:5". With the denominator being the height, it makes for an easy comparison of relative height. (maybe).

Possibile reason two! If they called it what it is, "2.35 to 1:00", they might have to pay royalties to "CinemaScope".

Now, look at the picture in the article. That looks like 3/ 16:10's pushed together. Each one of those panels is certainly NOT 21:9!

At least not in that rendering.

Here's 21:9 LG
A2RY_130373618464231126KqP9BfRFa3.jpg
It doesn't even remotely look like the aspect ratios in the panels shown.

Last edited:
G

Now all we need is for AMD/Nvidia to get their act together and release something affordable to drive those pixel.