LG unveils Optimus G Pro with 5.5-inch curved glass display

Shawn Knight

Staff member

LG has revealed a new smartphone that should be able to compete head-to-head against Samsung’s flagship Galaxy Note II. The Optimus G Pro will ship with a 5.5-inch display – the same size as the Note II – but this panel is distinct due to the fact that it’s constructed from curved glass.

That curved full HD (1,080 x 1,920) display will, according to LG, give a 2.5D effect. Internally, potential buyers can expect to find a quad-core processor which is probably the Snapdragon S4 Pro. There’s also 2GB of system memory, 32GB of internal storage and a microSD card slot (according to some reports) should you feel the need for expansion .

optimus pro lg curved glass optimus g pro

The back panel of the phone is somewhat reminiscent of the original Optimus G which featured a distinct square pattern. The device will be powered by a capacious 3,140mAh battery that should have little trouble making it through a full day. We are also hearing there will be a 13-megapixel camera on the rear and native 4G LTE connectivity.

LG is expected to release the Optimus G Pro in late February although we are unsure at this time if it will make it outside of South Korea any time soon. The phone will be available in two different colors: platinum white and indigo black.

If all else fails, odds are the company will showcase the handset at Mobile World Congress later this month in Barcelona. Pricing remains unknown at this hour.

Permalink to story.

Are you sure it's not like 2.51D? How does it compute? :)

I like the red currant, but I had Note 2, and it gave me a toothache.

It looks quite nice but there are so many devices out there with Samsung & Apple duking it out for top honors I wonder if it'll get noticed. I hope so.

Isn't the L of LG just two letters close to the I of Iphone on the alphabet?, if you add to that than they are releasing a phone, I see a very clear case there.

LG phones are really good, looks good too... BUT they have a crap software support... im not suprise if this runs on gingerbread... Lol

Oh.. my... goodness. Dat bezel. This thing looks gorgeous.

THIS is what the iPhone5 should have looked like.

Samsung were making bits for the Apple Pie phone and LG are making Samsungs products like the nexus 4. So they are all in bed with each other til one gets kicked out for farting... and then the gloves are off and they sue each other for making similar products, but all phones look alike. Oblong, screen, camera, thin bezel.
I don't get how they can sue each other when its standard practice for many companys to use the same production lines to cut costs, so they use the same bits of glass, I can't help but think they grabbed the glass of the note 2 and left it under a lamp for 2 minutes til it started to deform.
I jest. LG have slowly become one of those companys who make some rather decent screens and electronics so if they can improve their software like some are complaining about then its all good. Not that software is ever an issue on an Android phone, who doesnt flash their android rom?

It will NOT be running Gingerbread. I bet you have an iPhone or some kind of Samsung phone.
an LG Fan? im still using LG-P970 since its release... and base on experience their software support is really crap regardless if it is a new model or an old one.

Again LG Phones looks good but I rather buy other phones.

Back