LGA 775 Duo 2 Core E4600 / suggestions!

Hi all

Wonder if anyone can give some advice.
Right .... I was given 2 CPUs (LGA 775 Duo 2 Core E4600)
but do not have a motherboard for it ...

I was thinking, what kind of good motherboard should I buy
that also supports DDR3 (1333) 8GB or max... which also might be use
to play games on it (when graphic card ought of course)

Any ideas ?!

I live in UK

Mobo budget, I would say up to £100
Resolution?? Well, that also depends on the graphic card ... and mobo!?
If the convenient MOBO has been found, based on that will be looking for a graphic card ...

What I am thinking is to get them Crosair 8GB (2x4GB) CL9
Not sure what G.Card to get cos wondering if the "mobo" will accept it at all!

Considering that I will have to purchase: Case, SINK+Cooler, PSU, RAM

Well you didn't mention all the other stuff you need to buy.

So all you have is the cpu you were given?

huh what?!

CPU: Due 2 Core E4600 LGA775

I want a suggestion from you guys
what is the best motherboard for that CPU
that is also "good" for gaming ...

The mobo ideally should support DDR3 1333 (8GB)
Also PCIe x16 (so I can get a graphic card in the future)

Price range for Motherboard: from £50 up to £100 (IN ENGLAND)

Regads the other parts, I will get them seperatly
which has nothing to do with MOBO itself!

So, all I wanted from you guys is suggestion for a
LGA775 Mobo that supports DDR3 1333 and is good for gaming.

There are loads of LGA775 on amazone, but which one out of the
hole lot is best ... that is the point :) anyone with the knowledge, let us know.

Thanks

Do you have a case for this motherboard you wish to buy?

Does this case have room for a standard ATX or does it only support Micro-ATX?

These are my recommendations:
  • Asus
  • ASRock
  • EVGA
  • Gigabyte
  • MSI

Newegg search for DDR3 with my suggested makers.

I recommend using newegg over amazon but then that is just my personal opinion.

Edit:
If you are building a new PC from scratch, you would be wasting your money building a LGA775 system. If you are building from scratch you should consider todays tech for a motherboard. $200 would give you a system (motherboard cpu and memory) that would greatly outperform that "Core2 Duo E4600".

Didn't even think 775 socket based motherboards came in DDR3 flavour.
Like others have suggested, a new system would be a better investment than old technology just to use an old processor you have been given.

With the age of the 775 socket there aren't that many motherboards around now...

3 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=5&subid=1490
Few more from Scan - http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/motherboards-intel/socket-775-intel-g41-g43-g45-q45

Any board with PCI-E 16x slot for the graphics card should do. A lot of the boards seem to have max 4GB memory, so doesn't leave much room for upgrade.

Don't think the E4XXX cpus were terribly great overclockers either so not going to get a huge benefit out of getting a board with a bios that supports overclocking features via the Front Side Bus, but if you do go down this path you might as well get one that does. Get as much oomph out of that chip as you can ;)

Case: will be ATX just because it will have bigger room!

Arris

I understand that LGA775 is not a great CPU etc etc but hey I was given those CPU for free ... I am not loosing!! Besides, I have PS3 for gaming ... I aint looking for a masive gaming PC.

Just wanted to know which is "best" LGA775 Motherboards that supports DDR3 (1333 without having to overlock) and supports PCIe x16 for a decent graphic card. If I wanted a gamin PC, would look for an i7 or something like that!

Anyway: which one out of those would be 1st / 2nd and 3rd choice + why?!

ASUS P5G41T-M /
ht*p://w*w.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-P5G41T-M-motherboard-micro-iG41/dp/B002ZCR1XU/ref=sr_1_47?ie=UTF8&qid=1320239301&sr=8-47

Asus P5G41T-M LX3 /
ht*p://w*w.amazon.co.uk/Asus-P5G41T-M-LX3-Motherboard/dp/tech-data/B0052WC4QY/ref=de_a_smtd

Asus P5G41C-M LX /
ht*p://w*w.amazon.co.uk/Asus-P5G41C-M-LX-Motherboard/dp/tech-data/B0037L32WC/ref=de_a_smtd

AsRock G41MH/USB3 R2.0 /
ht*p://w*w.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=G41MH/USB3%20R2.0&cat=Specifications

Gigabyte SKT-775 P41T-D3P /
ht*p://w*w.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-P41T-D3P-SKT-775-Motherboard/dp/tech-data/B005618PMI/ref=de_a_smtd

Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2 (rev. 1.3) /
ht*p://w*w.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-G41MT-S2-rev-1-3-Motherboard/dp/tech-data/B004I65K84/ref=de_a_smtd

GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2P (rev. 1.3) /
ht*p://w*w.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-GA-G41MT-S2P-LGA775-Chipset-Micro-ATX/dp/B005KU7EUE/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1320220091&sr=8-31

Gigabyte GA-G41MT-D3V (rev. 1.3) /
ht*p://w*w.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-G41MT-D3V-rev-1-3-Motherboard/dp/tech-data/B004WI9IIG/ref=de_a_smtd

I'd get the ASRock board, but its the only one you didn't have an amazon link for. So if you can't find it, the last Gigabyte board would be ok. I picked the ASRock because they've became a solid board manufacturer in recent years, and it has PCIe 16x and 1x, and 2 regular PCI slots, thats more than the Gigabyte boards (I don't care for asus boards, expensive and I see all kinds of problems with them, very picky on RAM, also other misc problems. But if you like them the first and 3rd looked ok to me).

I'm sure you know this, but be sure to only buy 2x4GB RAM for the board because they all only have 2 RAM slots.

Also, as others have said. I know you got the processor for free, but building a complete system around a processor that old (and on the lower end of the C2Ds) is probably not a good investment. But, you did find some DDR3 boards, so that leaves you a bit of room in the future to buy a higher end processor, although still the performance per £ won't be good.

Hi SNGX1275

Thanks for response :) Yeh I had a thought between:
AsRock G41MH/USB3 R2.0 and GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2P

But again ... what is bugging me cos on all those Mobos it saying
"DDR3 1333 (OS)" overclocking is needed at which I aint got no clue!

I already purchased 2x4GB kingston DDR3 1333!
Guess there aint a huge difference between 1066 and 1333 anyway?!

I hope that others will participate and have their say,
so then I can draw a conclusion and get a motherboard :)

The AsRock. USB 3,an additional PCI slot, and more onboard graphics out options (Doesn't appear the Asus even has digital video out, opting instead for VGA). Integrated graphics, Max RAM, Max RAM speed are the same on both.

Thanks for reply SN... :)
Do you think that this m;bord is overclock capable?!

Did not find a post where that was disscussed !!

I'm sure it is. I had an Asrock board that spanned the previous generation (LGA 775 with ability to use DDR or DDR2 RAM and AGP or PCIe) and it overclocked decently. You probably aren't going to be setting any records for the highest OC with a 4600 on it, but you'll be able to do something I'm sure.

Hey SN

Thanks dude :) I will go ahead and purchase the AsRock mboard.
Do u mind if I get back to you when overclocking the cpu+mobo ?!

cheers

Sure. Probably should create a new thread when you have the system on how to overclock it best. I'm on the low end of knowledge on overclocking on this forum, I'm sure there are plenty of others that could help you more than I.

Back