Limited connectivity with working DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adonis 27

I went away to college and lived in the dorms my first year. We had to use their internet and had to sign in every time we did, we also had to use a cable to connect. Well I never turned off my network sharing and so they thought i was downloading/uploading stuff to other people on the same internet. They ended up shutting my internet down, but said i could get back on in 2 weeks. I tried 2 weeks later, but i would always get "Limited Connectivity". I didn't want to bother with the school at the time, so i went in with some guys to buy wireless internet.

When i came back home (which doesn't have wireless set-up), i wasn't able to connect to my internet with the cable. It kept saying "Limited Connectivity," but hasn't let me get on the internet with full access yet. I was wondering if anyone knew how to "lift" this "ban" off from my computer that the people at my college put on my computer or do i have to call my ISP to help me fix this? Thanks for taking the time to reading this and for any help you may give.

If it matters at all, I'm running on Vista...

hum; the College ISP could block your system (they see your MAC address and refuse the connection).

If you have come home and acquired another (ie different) ISP, your MAC is new to
them and they will not block a new customer.

Technically, Limited Access is a result of a specific condition, namely, your system
did not find a DHCP server on the network.

First, start with a wired connection,
modem --- system OR modem--router--system​
View Network Connections and right click the LAN -> Properties -->Tcp/ip
and click Properties button. Make sure you have DHCP set for BOTH IP address and DNS.
Click on the net Tab and delete every (if any) thing there.

Close all windows with OK

get a command prompt (run->cmd) and enter ipconfig /all
copy and paste your findings in a follow-up.

Once we get this running, then we can address the wireless connection.

The wired-connection is the problem, not the wireless. In college, my wireless adapter worked perfectly, even when my wired-connection didn't. Unfortunately, i'm not able to use wireless at my mom's because she doesn't have the correct set-up for it. So i think it has to do with my physical computer...or i could be completely wrong, that's why i'm here haha. I think i was able to do all of the steps you listed, and when i ran the command, this is what i got:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Kais>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kais-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-B9-53-90-E3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b9e5:87cd:b30d:bf22%8(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.191.34(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201333689
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{4129B5DC-99F9-495A-8760-E0646DEAD
679}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.191.34%17(Preferred)
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Kais>

Adonis 27 said:
C:\Users\Kais>ipconfig/all

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b9e5:87cd:b30d:bf22%8(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.191.34(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201333689
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

DISABLE IPv6, it's not necessary at home and only causes problems :)
Q. How do I disable IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008?

A.Unlike Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 cannot be uninstalled. However, you can disable IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 by doing one of the following:

1) In the Network Connections folder, obtain properties on all of your connections and adapters and clear the check box next to the Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) component in the list under This connection uses the following items.
This method disables IPv6 on your LAN interfaces and connections, but does not disable IPv6 on tunnel interfaces or the IPv6 loopback interface.

2) Add the following registry value (DWORD type) set to 0xFF:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

This method disables IPv6 on all your LAN interfaces, connections, and tunnel interfaces but does not disable the IPv6 loopback interface. You must restart the computer for this registry value to take effect.

For additional information about the DisabledComponents registry value, see Configuring IPv6 with Windows Vista.

If you disable IPv6, you will not be able to use Windows Meeting Space or any application that relies on the Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking platform or the Teredo transition technology.

So i got to the the parameters part of the folder and got lost, i didn't see a DisabledComponents folder nor did i know how to add the registry value. I also tried calling my ISP and had no luck at all either, so i resorted to the last thing i could think of: the Geek Squad. I bought my computer from Best Buy along with a warranty so i figured i'd give it a shot. When i was talking to the guy who was fixing it, he said he needed to reset something, so when i came back, a new person was working on it. He said that because the school thought i was downloading/uploading, they could've sent a virus to my computer. They said the virus they sent isn't one that is going to ultimately destroy my computer, but it is going to keep me from ever using a wired-connection. He said he was going to continue running tests until he had nothing left to try. He also said that if he can't fix it, restoring the computer will....which will NOT happen under my watch. I have way too much music on my computer for that to happen. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get this "virus" off my computer without having to restore my computer or if they have even heard of this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back