Linksys' latest WRT router combines open-source firmware support with MU-MIMO, AC3200 speeds

Jos

Staff

The iconic blue and black WRT line of routers from Linksys is getting a new addition with the latest wireless technology and the same open-source firmware support that made it popular among enthusiasts. The Linksys AC3200 WRT Gigabit MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router promises to provide better throughput thanks to its “Tri-Stream 160 technology” by extending channel width from 80 MHz to 160 MHz “when Dynamic Frequency Selection conditions allow.”

The ability to produce three streams also allows separating "slow" and "fast" devices by running two 5GHz Wi-Fi networks simultaneously, enabling you to separate 802.11n and 802.11ac into different connections to avoid bottlenecking the AC devices.

It also supports MU-MIMO (Multiple User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output) technology, which allows it to transmit data with multiple devices simultaneously instead of them taking turns.

Hardware specs include a 1.8GHz dual-core ARM-based CPU, 512MB of DDR3 memory, and 256MB of flash storage. The router has four high-powered antennas, five gigabit Ethernet ports (4 LAN, 1 Internet), one USB 3.0 port, and one USB 2.0/eSATA port for setting up external storage or adding onboard media servers.

Linksys is touting the fact that it is open-source ready with OpenWrt or DD-WRT “for complete flexibility and customization of networking functions or for optimizing the router for specific use cases, such as privacy, VoIP, and small office applications.”

While Linksys has certainly built an impressive router on paper, it’s worth noting that the WRT3200ACM will only as fast as the clients connected to it. As it stands now there are no Tri-band 160 laptops or phones currently on the market, and there are very few that support MU-MIMO technology, so you’re essentially getting bragging rights and hoping those technologies become widespread in the near future.

The Linksys AC3200 WRT Gigabit MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router is available now via the Linksys web store and Amazon priced at a hefty $280.

Permalink to story.

I don't want a router that worth more than my desktop, laptop and smartphone combined... besides I don't need something so fancy.

Considering that this new WRT router has 160 width built in, that's what's called future proofing folks.
Moreover, if it performs at 80 width with authority now ... well then ... quit complaining.

That said, this router is slated to be $249 USD retail which is on average, about a 100 clams lower in price than other top-flight MIMO devices. It's WRT out of the shoot and if the radios are what they are touted to be, this will be a successful offering. Belkin/Linksys needs this type of device for the modder community.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-Tri-Stream-WRT3200ACM/dp/B01JOXW3YE

I have one coming in next week for review.

As a side note, this is one sloppy article Techspot. Not just the facts, but the grammar.
Proof-read and reference check FTW chaps !
You're better than this.

Last edited:
Garbage review.
Another inaccurate price.

It was a preview and there being no 160 Mhz devices is quite accurate.

I'm waiting for a SNB review on this unit.

Granted I'm super happy with my R7000 running Asus merlin so just curious and not actually looking to purchase.

Here's a practical one to read while you wait for SNB.

http://nerdtechy.com/linksys-wrt3200acm-review

Not to beat a dead horse, but shallow previews are garbage. And with a starting price of $249 - and sure to see some good discounting in the near term - this WRT will do well if they got the hardware platform done right.
I'm personally sold on MIMO and beam forming.

Garbage review.
Another inaccurate price.

It was a preview and there being no 160 Mhz devices is quite accurate.

I'm waiting for a SNB review on this unit.

Granted I'm super happy with my R7000 running Asus merlin so just curious and not actually looking to purchase.

Here's a practical one to read while you wait for SNB.

http://nerdtechy.com/linksys-wrt3200acm-review

Not sure if it's mood or what MoeJoe, but since you were kinda' beating everyone up, thought I'd offer MY unsolicited response regarding Your 'chosen' review -- Did you read Any other reviews by "Tech Guru" on this sorry-never-heard-of-it site? It's like proving a political point by pointing to an ALT-left or ALT-right blog. I could only stomach three glossy Press Reviews, so it is Possible that I missed a real review with, hmmm, Anything At All wrong?

I've no skin in the WRT game, though one Linksys product long ago had 'issues' for me, so I've no opinion on a product so new, but Nerd Techy is far from the stellar, hands on review you seem to state. What time I was willing to invest, it's pretty Bad, the definition of Shallow.

Not sure if it's mood or what MoeJoe, but since you were kinda' beating everyone up, thought I'd offer MY unsolicited response regarding Your 'chosen' review -- Did you read Any other reviews by "Tech Guru" on this sorry-never-heard-of-it site? It's like proving a political point by pointing to an ALT-left or ALT-right blog. I could only stomach three glossy Press Reviews, so it is Possible that I missed a real review with, hmmm, Anything At All wrong?

I've no skin in the WRT game, though one Linksys product long ago had 'issues' for me, so I've no opinion on a product so new, but Nerd Techy is far from the stellar, hands on review you seem to state. What time I was willing to invest, it's pretty Bad, the definition of Shallow.

Obviously out-of-the-basement triggered.
I blame the parents, public pressure and the internet.

Miss the irony much?

Back