Liquid dripping from CPU Socket?

GNS1310

Whattttt?????
I took my PC apart and used one of those "Dust Away" cans of compressed air to get some dust out....sprayed it near the fans and where I usually spray.

Turned the PC back on and it almost started up the entire way but then it just shut down.

Took the PC back apart and found a tiny "puddle" of liquid on my Graphics card, (right below my d-link card) and my D-Link wireless card was wet...I took the card out and it literally dripped something...has a very slight odor and I can't tell what the heck just happened.

I know liquid can come out of those Dust Away cans but I didn't really spray that way. I have no liquids near my PC, nothing spilled in or on the tower.

Everythings dry now but I'm not sure if I should fire it back up.

Thanks for any help.

It's not clear whether you just took the side off or dismantled the tower which would have been unnecessary. If you just took the side off for access and blew the air can around inside it should be fine. I've seen damp looking patches when doing this but always wait for them to evaporate before starting the PC. Holding the can upright is supposed to keep down the amount of liquid sprayed. The good news is it's not water.

Yeah, just the big screws and side panel. I've never seen an actual pooling though.
Gotten the damp spots that evaporate quickly.

First pass on cleaning should be to vacuum out the dust, not blow it around.

It's coming from my CPU Socket. A few online searches says it's possibly a thermal paste drip?
2.jpg
What to do about it next is the question. I've had the PC for 7 years now...never had this problem.
1.jpg
You can clearly see it about to drip in the second pic.

Yes, you are correct - it is leaking - looks like hose has deteriorated - 7 years old you said - probably out of warranty - if too much leaks it will not flow - then thermal crashes by CPU - time to take it all apart and do a rebuild.

Bad time for me to do another build.
So, everything should be okay...pull it apart piece by piece and go from there?
Is there an easier fix?
Any tips? Been awhile since I did a buld!

Since you powered up the system with the leak present, there may be an unidentified issue. I would suggest that you:
1. download motherboard manual, heatsink manual
2. get thermal paste and coolant, hose clamps, tubing as needed
3. disassemble and clean the various components of the system
4. repair, refill and test the cooling loop on the heatsink
5. reassemble basic parts on benchtop
6. confirm proper operation of system
7. reinstall system into case

Hope it works out for you - its quite a lot of work. Alternative might be to donate to a school (my local has a computer hardware course in manual arts) and buy new.

Any questions.. as they arise, post.

Back