Litecoin Mining Using Enthusiast PC Hardware

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/777-litecoin-mining-project/]https://www.techspot.com/article/777-litecoin-mining-project/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Wait, are you saying your mining rig got your home past 72 F when the temperature outside was 12 F? Are these mining rigs heating appliances in disguise?

I launched the .bat file and it cycles through some prompts before instantly closing due to some error. literally cannot read it, it flies by too fast. Any ideas?

Wait, are you saying your mining rig got your home past 72 F when the temperature outside was 12 F? Are these mining rigs heating appliances in disguise?

I am sure he was talking about the room in which the rig was located. Unless he lives in a one room house...

I launched the .bat file and it cycles through some prompts before instantly closing due to some error. literally cannot read it, it flies by too fast. Any ideas?

It says that "cgminer.exe" is not a recognized as an internal or external commander, operable program or batch file. (Very fast screenshotting skills, only took me 5 tries)

It says that "cgminer.exe" is not a recognized as an internal or external commander, operable program or batch file. (Very fast screenshotting skills, only took me 5 tries)
Or you could have just run it from the command line...

I started bitcoin mining back in June of 2013 and quickly gave up on it since the Asic have flooded the market and make it unprofitable even if you are going professional. I just got back into mining once I started reading up on Litecoin and other scrypt based currency.

So I don't have the money to invest into a $3000 rig, but I do have some pair motherboards with PCI-X slots. I took all the different Video cards from the "https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison" website and then went to newegg to get a rough pricing. I then took the expected KH/S and divided it by the cost of the card. It turns out that for a quick return on investment, (remember, I only needed the video card). The best card in January 2014 was the R9-270. It has the highest ratio of KH/$. I have been mining for just about 3 weeks and have cleared over $100 mining Doge coins (scrypt based like litecoins).

I have been using the site multipool.us, they have 19 different Scrypt currency. I have also used coinex.pw, they have even more. You can either mining one coin only or have the system switch between the different currency as the profitability of each change (min by min). I found out that 93% of the time, Doge coins where the most profitable so I mine just one.

If you don't want to buy things in Doge coins or Litecoin, you can use the following site to exchange them for Bitcoins. (https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=133211). I used my referral address since I get a little bonus if I refer people to there site.

If you don't want to even buy with bitcoins, you can also use another site to actually cash out the bitcoins into cash and have the money deposited directly into your checking account. (https://coinbase.com/) again, I use the referral address so I get credit for recommending them. You can also buy bitcoins directly from them so if you can get into bitcoins with out having to mine.

I hope this helps you make good decisions about mining. It can be a good source of extra money. My goals with mining is to pay off the card that I bought and keep paying on the credit cards until I am out of debt (or at least pay off that one card).

Last edited by a moderator:

Getting the same problem.

If you add a "pause" command (w/out quotes) to the end of your batch file, it will prompt you to hit a key to end the program.

You have to run the cgminer program in the same folder as you unzipped the file. Either create the batch file in the folder or if you're running the batch in the root of C or whatever your OS drive letter is, you'll need to use variables to set a source path and change to it and then run cgminer. I would say for simplicity's sake just run it in the same folder.

:Variables
SET SourcePath=\\path\

pushd "%SourcePath%"

I do mining, and I wouldn't recommend using a case (especially with three graphics cards) as shown in the picture above. That's asking for trouble.

I do mining, and I wouldn't recommend using a case (especially with three graphics cards) as shown in the picture above. That's asking for trouble.
Learn. To. Read.

He said he didn't recommend using the case used in the picture, not "don't use a case".

However, if you only had the choice of that case or nothing, then nothing would be a better bet as ironically it would have better air circulation...

So which case would you prefer that would offer better air circulation? Just curious. My Corsair Graphite Series 600T looks similar - no problems there. Airflow intake front airflow outtake back and top.

That rig is gonna burn those cards out. CGMiner runs those cards as hot as it can and there needs to be more space between them. Most serious miners do use milk crates or the like with the cards way off the board using PCIe powered risers to give them extra space between and with extra fans blowing between them so they're not contributing to each others heat.

So which case would you prefer that would offer better air circulation? Just curious. My Corsair Graphite Series 600T looks similar - no problems there. Airflow intake front airflow outtake back and top.
If you want to mine, don't. Look into building on a frame, or open plan. If you put those cards in a case (no matter how good it is) they will burn out and fail.

Even though the article does point out that the use of a case is not the best idea, it should have been made more clear throughout. I understand the use of the Cosmos 2 comes in the article's spirit that as enthusiasts we have hardware laying around as spare (Cosmos 2 unused? I wish!)

Or typing "CMD /k" in front of the command will keep the window open. That starts CMD window and then runs the file. When finished it waits for user input to close the window.

Edit:
I hope you guys are not downloading the file and then typing the batch file name in the run dialog box, hoping the default location will be the correct location.

There is no cgminer.exe in that download, maybe its corrupt I dont know.
You can try the 3.5.0 version it seems to be working for me.

I started bitcoin mining back in June of 2013 and quickly gave up on it since the Asic have flooded the market and make it unprofitable even if you are going professional. I just got back into mining once I started reading up on Litecoin and other scrypt based currency.
Yeah it has potential.

View attachment 77864
My friend build this to mine LTC.
Still hiding the specs ;)

edgey_fingerwag_full_2.gif

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Radeon-Graphics-Memory-DisplayPort/dp/B00BBR2WI4/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1392146162&sr=1-2&keywords=AMD HD 7950

HD 7950 are the cards hes using in that rig above, I recognized that Sapphire cooler because of the Chrome on it :p

LOL man, most of the litecoin miners put the hardware inside plastic baskets or use racks to reduce costs and stuff and you used a Cosmos II ?

This article makes my left eye twitch. There is a reason people are using milk crates and building open frames to house their hardware, so it doesn't fry. Which is where your gear is headed. Even if you happen to have a case laying around, it isn't worth frying your cards. The HW errors on your first GPU make my right eye twitch, and the fact you didn't even mention it makes my whole head ache.

Please.Stop.Writing.Articles.

Back