Little too much room

14 of a hotdog

I recently took the case off of my stereo thing because I like the look but I noticed that about 80% is open space does anyone know why? it looks like if you wanted to you could make it the size of a vcr. so what is that about I cant imagine you needing that much ventilation so why would they make it that open?

Attachments

• why is it this open.jpg
    why is it this open.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 14
Hi

well the front board appears to make the size of it up, i suppose 1 full board is cheaper to make then using say 4 boards and having to join them together (extra bits mean extra cost), and the width of the DVD unit gives you the depth of it, Most electrical equipment is sold on the basis that if its big and impressive looking then men will buy it, where as small and dainty stuff is usually aimed at the females (no im not being sexist its a fact women like small and dainty things).

Lets put it another way would you buy a Ford Ka or go for a Ford Mustang, Women would go for the former, Men the latter.

Just my opinion

Regards

Convention.
The old units were full of tubes and required a great deal of space for cooling. They were setup in special cabinets. It was said that the males like electronics. The women wanted furniture. So they were designed to fit existing spaces.

Now, with almost all integrated circuits, you have less need.
But you still need the control knobs and switches to be ergonometric... so the front and back panels are needed for switching, controlling, external amps and preamps, antennae, and such.

But you will notice that many, many companies now make very thin devices which do the job just fine. Still, the bigger boxes sell better in some markets.

Marketing is a weird science.

ok that makes more sense i just figured they could make it smaller and compete with that bose thing if they just sandwiched everything together. that makes a lot more sense tho thanks!

Back