Locating and restoring Deleted Items in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having changed computers a couple of times and transported data over, the other day I used "DupDetector" to sort through and delete duplicate files.

Dupdetector found and deleted 14,000 odd duplicates. Before pressing "empty deleted items" and losing literally gigs of family photos I wanted to doublecheck that it had done this correctly, by re-running the comparison between "My Pictures" and "Deleted Items".

But dupdetector couldn't "see" the recycling bin to build an index in it. So I thought I would simply move all the deleted items into a separate folder it could see and run the comparison from there.

I did this by ctrl-A selecting all items in the recycling bin and dragging them to the new folder.

Weird thing is, they don't show up in the new folder - and they don't show up anymore in deleted items either. Have I somehow force deleted them without realising it?

I suspect that VISTA is still treating the items as deleted (I didn't "restore to original location" - I just dragged) and that's why they're not showing - but they're not in deleted items either.

To be clear I have not at any time "emptied" my deleted items folder so the files really ought to be somewhere.

any thoughts?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back