Location tracking

learninmypc

I think its possible on an iphone, but when that iphone has no phone number?? 2ndly, can an ipad be tracked??

IMO, tracking depends upon connectivity.

A cellphone with a dial tone has connectivity to the tower and the service provider, so in this state, YES. Powered off or w/o a SIM, NO

iPads come in two flavors; with Cell and without. Both have WiFi access and when online, oh yes.

Ok, my iphone has no number (no wifi once I leave the house)but for google maps I have location on. Ipad location on but no wifi when I leave the house unless a store/business has free wifi, thank you :)

This may be wrong, but I think anything which offers tracking or geo-location can be tracked.

Yeah most mobile devices will do this if you allow the services to grab a location of where you are.
I was on the run this morning looking for a doctors office, my new phone scared the jesus out of me when it knew exactly where I was.
It'll scan any images I have and match it to any location it has in its database, that part I really don't like but oh well to uncle sam.
I would be cautious of which apps or services will do that, I let ms on windows phone and google on my lg android track me.
In case I need to back track or some out of the blue moments I get lost while walking to and from destinations or locating people.

Location Tracking is configurable (on iPhones). Just disable in each application EXCEPT the ones you deem necessary, eg mapping GPS. If you use the Google query XYZ Near Me, then the browser will need it enabled too.

BTW: If you have any cell service whatsoever, then it should be obvious that the normal operation for cell phones allows location tracking by triangulation from the cell towers -- it's just not accessible or controllable by the user. In fact, it's PITA and only performed by law enforcement and/or court orders.

Back