Logitech has a new trackball mouse in the MX Ergo

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Logitech is going full-on retro with its latest peripheral. The PC and mobile accessory maker on Wednesday announced the MX Ergo, a wireless trackball-style mouse. Yeah, remember those?

The MX Ergo is the first new [innovative] trackball from Logitech in nearly a decade. The pointer is said to reduce muscular strain by 20 percent compared to a standard mouse and thanks to its adjustable hinge, users can increase the angle from zero to 20 degrees for improved wrist posture and pronation.

Logitech’s trackball offers the ability to instantly change cursor speed and accuracy at the push of a button for optimal control (there’s even an LED that lights up when “precision” mode is activated). It’s also compatible with Logitech Easy-Switch and Logitech Flow software for multi-computer use.

Logitech says the battery should last up to four months on a single charge and can provide a full day of work with just one minute of charge should you find yourself low on power.

The MX Ergo is launching later this month priced at $99.99. You’ll be able to pick it up from Logitech’s website and at select retailers in North America. There’s also an exclusive “Plus” edition in the works that’ll be sold at Best Buy for the same price although it’s unclear what’s different about it.

Permalink to story.

As someone who has used a track ball since 94, thumb trackballs are THE WORST. Left clck should be thumb, the track ball should be index and middle finger and right click should be your pinky. 4th digit is useless.

As someone who has used a track ball since 94, thumb trackballs are THE WORST. Left clck should be thumb, the track ball should be index and middle finger and right click should be your pinky. 4th digit is useless.
I prefer the thumb trackball....I tried the index/middle finger one a few different times and didn't care for it at all. Used the thumb one for almost 20 yrs now.

I prefer the thumb trackball....I tried the index/middle finger one a few different times and didn't care for it at all. Used the thumb one for almost 20 yrs now.
Well I guess the only thing that matters is if you're happy with the product you paid for. If the thumb trackball works best for you then I won't argue

I'm personally in the crowd with index finger trackballs. It's just easier for me. I feel like I can move faster with my thumb but it isn't as precise as my index.

Tried them before but for the most part, the more complicated these devices become the less likely I am to invest in one .... Having a bit of arthritis in the fingers makes any mouse that has more than the traditional two buttons on top with a wheel just plain difficult to navigate.

Tried them before but for the most part, the more complicated these devices become the less likely I am to invest in one .... Having a bit of arthritis in the fingers makes any mouse that has more than the traditional two buttons on top with a wheel just plain difficult to navigate.

Have you tried using a pen mouse or graphics tablet? They are great for relieving RSI or joint pain. I went on a journey trying nearly even device on the market until I found something that worked for me.

I don't use trackballs, but a few people at work do. Most of them have thumb trackballs which are annoying at best to deal with but I get buy. A couple have index finger trackballs, which I find much easier to work with. A couple have one of those sideways ergonomic mice (almost like a pistol grip but crappy) and they just drive me insane, and they also wonder why they can't click right when both fingers are resting on the right click...

Pretty decent looking trackball though (the new one that this article is about) all things considered. To each their own.

I'm with you on this yRaz, using a Kensington Slimblade for a few years now on my work PC. Thumb just didn't feel right to me. I'm a fan of Logitech and would be keen on an index finger model but not sure if the adjustable angle is purely a gimmick or not. I guess only "thumbers" could provide insight on this.

Have you tried using a pen mouse or graphics tablet? They are great for relieving RSI or joint pain. I went on a journey trying nearly even device on the market until I found something that worked for me.

Yes, I have used them both with decent success with both. The sweeping movements are easy, it's the dexterity of the fingers that suffer the most. The old mouse doesn't take much, but the new ones with endless buttons, etc are just a bit too taxing on the old finger joints. My son says I should move to Denver where there is beautiful scenery and legal pot .... sort of sounds like a win/win .....

Yes, I have used them both with decent success with both. The sweeping movements are easy, it's the dexterity of the fingers that suffer the most. The old mouse doesn't take much, but the new ones with endless buttons, etc are just a bit too taxing on the old finger joints. My son says I should move to Denver where there is beautiful scenery and legal pot .... sort of sounds like a win/win .....

Funny, that's what my father did. He seems to be doing well.

Mice that are easy to use? I'd say the logitech G pro if you have medium to small hands or the Razor deathadder if you have bigger hands. The G pro has the lightest click of any mouse I've ever used. It's amazing how little effort you need to use that mouse. The Razor Deathadder on the other hand has very big buttons that are hard to miss.

My fave of all time, one that many aficionados are begging Logitech to bring back, is the TrackMan Wireless Optical Trackball, which is a finger, rather than thumb based one.

Back