Logitech merges iPad smart cover and physical keyboard in latest accessory

Jos

Staff

Logitech has announced a new iPad accessory for those who can't bear to type on a touch screen for long periods. Their latest offering is a bit different from the current range of physical keyboards available for Apple's tablet, however, as it features a very thin design and doubles as a smart cover.

Logitech's new $99.99 Ultrathin Keyboard Cover will work with both the iPad 2 and the new iPad. Similar to Apple's Smart Cover, it attaches securely to one side of your iPad with a magnetic clip and will automatically switch the tablet's screen off or on upon closing or opening the cover. From there you can detach the cover and pop the iPad into the built-in stand just above the keyboard to start typing.

logitech ultrathin keyboard cover

The device connects to the iPad via Bluetooth and will last up to six months on a single charge, based on an average use of 2 hours per day. Logitech doesn't list exact dimensions for the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover, but it seems to be about the same thickness as the iPad itself, which is not much but will still add a bit of heft to your tablet. If you find yourself typing a lot on the iPad that might just be an easy trade-off.

Permalink to story.

Oh hey, that looks like a laptop. Technology we have had for more than a decade.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPad is "nice" and I'd certainly have one for browsing in bed or while taking a dump but I won't pay $500+ AU for the privilege. Productivity, or doing anything useful is simply impossible with an iPad, either through incompatibility or limitations of the built in hardware.

Why craft products like this keyboard to give a false impression that you can actually do work "on" the iPad? You're simply better off with a cheap and chunky laptop with good specs or a MacBook Air for the prestige in addition to a competent smartphone.

At least then you're not trying to fool yourself and everybody else.

when people say you can't do work on the Ipad, it means THEY can't do work on the Ipad. For example, I run a website business in which i have 2 reps (including myself) supplied with ipads. From 1 single device, they go to my clients, take the photos of the product with the ipad, upload the photo and the info/data to the website, and it all auto-syncs to my Ever-note account hassle free. If i DIDN'T"T have Ipads, they would all be using stand alone cameras and have to upload all info ONCE they got home to THEIR computer which could be filled with spyware and viruses which would compromise the website log ins etc. the ipad works incredible for me and for many other people i deal with,talk with, and do business with. I love getting "all" my work done from 1 single device. Sorry it doesn't work for you.

There are some tasks/productivity apps the iPad is good for. Although if you primarily work with Office apps or many others you are sol when it comes to an iPad.

a laptop is just VERY inconvenient in lot of situations, this cover is perfect for those that love the convince of a tablet but sometimes require the keyboard luxury at other times.

First thought i had was 'Oh look! ..It's a laptop!'. This article just made my morning i think.

To be fair, the ASUS transformer has sold pretty well I believe. it's about the same as this, although has a battery in the keyboard to give extra usage when it's connected.

Also, the netbook market is almost gone, so the cheap laptops are now around 14 inch screens. The 11inch laptop market and netbook market has decreased a lot since tablets came out. I don't know if this can fill that niche though because one of the best things about netbooks was the sub $400 (or even sub $300) price tag.

So why will this sell? because for many people the iPad is the coolest thing they own and it's part of their image, just like a designer purse. This is a cool accessory and it has an Apple logo on it. It'll sell, just watch.

Back