Logitech Unifying reciever and video games?

madboyv1

Hello folks, recently I asked for opinions of of the K800 wireless keyboard, but ended up getting it anyways, will review it or something later.

ANYWHO, this keyboard uses the unifying receiver (white paper here), and I'm very much considering on buying a new mouse to go with it.

However, mice on the Unifying receiver reports at 125 times per second, and there are gamepads and other logitech mice that has 2 times that, some even higher up to 1000 reports per second. For someone who does not really play FPSs online as "hardcore" as others do, are these higher report rates essentially snake oil for me, or does it really make the difference in the end?

I think 125 reports per second is fairly standard for mice, so if your current mouse speed is acceptable then the Unifying wireless one you are considering probably will be too. Also, games will be bottle-necked by your integrated graphics chip long before the refresh rate of your mouse would be noticeable. ;)

I guess I feel stupid for not searching for it myself first... USUALLY that's one of the first things I do...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_Polling_Rate

That being said, while I am now have the understanding that 125 reports is fairly standard, it's interesting to note that many popular monitors actually refresh faster than the average mouse report... I can see why people would think that a faster report would be better, but whether or not it TRULY makes a difference (gotta love those who obsess over timing frames...) I guess is up to the person...

If I remember right, I think the standard refresh rate for films is 24 frames per second. So if DVD movies don't seem very choppy to you, then the 125 reports per second mouse shouldn't be noticeably laggy at all. ;)

As for a monitor, 120 Hz is great and more than the typical human eye can process. A higher refresh rate is more of a sales gimmick, in my opinion.

Back