Logo design software

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicRic

Hi,

could you recommend any graphic design software, specifically for logo design?

I don't have any preference about the platform - Mac, Linux or Windows would do.

Actually I don't have a Mac but I heard they are planning to bring down prices during this Xmas season, and if the best software for logo design runs on a Mac I might finally take a dive into the Mac world.

BRgds
V.A.

p.s. BTW, how about your favorite Web Design software?

^ Good question! I'd like to find out the recommended logo design software as well. I've used a few that I didn't like. And I am not that great with PS!

Thx Halo71.

I started looking into the services of this company - Logoworks (http://logoworks.com/)
but I found the final price a bit high. Yeah, I'm cheap!

They also offer web design services. The final product from Logoworks looks like it's worth every penny and the service must be really professional but I think if I'm going to pay that amount of money I might as well spend it on a Mac plus some good software.

- someday I'll have the bucks to hire professionals. hehe

Hi, I'm a part-time freelance designer, so perhaps I may provide some insight in this area.

While I don't use logo-design-specific programs, I do use Adobe Photoshop CS 3 as well as Adobe Illustrator CS 3, which I find are excellent for this purpose. It really depends on your workflow and working style.

For logos, I tend to do preliminary sketches etc, and since I use a tablet, photoshop is excellent for that. From there, illustrator/photoshop both have the pen tool which is very useful in creating your outlines. Illustrator is good for vector based output if you determine that your logo will be often used across large scale advertisements (alot of scaling), otherwise photoshop is mostly good enough for anything smaller from web output to A4/A3 printing (so you do not need to transfer your sketches into Illustrator).

Just my 2c worth, hope this helps.

I use a Fujitsu tablet pc. Been using this brand of laptop for some time, so I've gotten quite used to it.

Hi, Vic.

When speaking of Adobe, you're speaking of shelling out the $$$. Same with buying a Mac. I'll give you the best budget way to do this...Get on a Windows platform, download GIMP which is an open source software with many Photoshop capabilities, then buy Adobe Illustrator. Save your images as high quality jpegs and import them into Illustrator. Illustrator has the best capabilities for logo design. It has a big advantage in that it is vector-based, and that is essential.

Also, in terms of a new computer, how about building your own? Mere mortals can do this! You can actually build a pc that I believe is every bit as good as a Mac because you can choose very good parts for it that are better than you'll find in a retail store like Best Buy, for half the price.

I speak with some sense of authority because, after working in the private sector for 30 years, I am now work as a state employee, not an administrator. There's a difference. I know how to make pennies go a long, long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back