Looking for a Alert system for the elderly

Hi everyone,
We're living with an elderly member that lives on the 1st floor of the home. He recently had his first fall and almost no one in the home knew about it. There's almost always someone home, so there isn't a need to call for 911.

I'm hoping to find a tech system, that will give the elderly member something to wear; pendant around the neck or something on the wrist. And if pushed, it would alert the home's phone system or something like that. So we can immediately assist, then call 911 if the situation requires it.

Is there something like this out there? Everything I'm finding on Google seems to be packaged with their monitoring service, which is unnecessary for our scenario.

Please let me know, thanks!

These systems are used in the UK and our elderly neighbour who had had a few falls was given one. The problem was that she wouldn't wear it. One morning she got confused about whether it was am or pm and went out to do some gardening. It was Winter and she did not have the device on. She slipped, fell, broke her hip and was lying for hours freezing and calling for help. Next morning she was found and taken to hospital but never recovered. If she had worn the gadget our phone would have rung as soon as she was in difficulties.
Bottom line - you have to get the cooperation of the person you want to monitor. In the case of the independently minded this can be difficult.

We don't think that's going to be a problem - even so, we would like to have this product to consider. Are you able to link me to any of them?

Thanks!

I'm a bit hesitant on that one specifically, like the many I tried to find myself, that says:
Simply press the button on your lightweight pendant or wristband to connect to our emergency response centre – no numbers to remember.

Which isn't what we're looking for. We're looking for one that has the ability to call our phone system with an automated message "A fall has occurred", so either when we see the Caller ID or hear that specific message, we know to assist immediately. Rather than to get an emergency response involved & possibly pay monitoring cost that isn't necessary.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,
We're living with an elderly member that lives on the 1st floor of the home. He recently had his first fall and almost no one in the home knew about it. There's almost always someone home, so there isn't a need to call for 911.

I'm hoping to find a tech system, that will give the elderly member something to wear; pendant around the neck or something on the wrist. And if pushed, it would alert the home's phone system or something like that. So we can immediately assist, then call 911 if the situation requires it.

Is there something like this out there? Everything I'm finding on Google seems to be packaged with their monitoring service, which is unnecessary for our scenario.

Please let me know, thanks!
Try this http://www.lifealert.com/

CRZX22 doesn't want to pay for a support service which rules that one and maybe all of the others out.

Great post! :) It would also be possible to monitor somebody with a camera that is accessed on the home network via some device like the iPad or a smart phone. I can see lots of at risk people not liking the intrusion though.

Great post! :) It would also be possible to monitor somebody with a camera that is accessed on the home network via some device like the iPad or a smart phone. I can see lots of at risk people not liking the intrusion though.
ONLY curious, can you explain how to do such? I'm not in need of it, but I'd still like to know, thank you. :) free of course.

Have a look on Amazon under surveillance cameras. UCam247 have cameras to monitor the inside or outside of a home. They are mainly to deter burglars but an indoor set up could keep an eye on an elderly person's welfare.

I've seen videos of people stealing video cameras. I think that's the only way of getting one free of charge. :)

Back