Looking for a wireless LAN card for Windows 98

charlie61

I am looking for a wireless lan card that will run on Windows 98. Does anyone know what will work with Windows 98?
Thanks

Well the need to ask what Operating System your on in regards to a new network card is kind of pointless. I have only one good recommendation here, it's a good one and I personally know it will work. I have one client of mine who is a Windows 98 hold out. She won't to save her life switch to anything else. About a year ago she needed a new network card for her old Compaq, so I ordered her the following...

The Encore ENLGA-1320 Network Interface Card for Windows 98 S.E.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Network+-+Interface+Cards-_-Encore-_-33180026

It worked and from last I heard it has continued to work flawlessly! Pretty decent price, for $9.39 you can't go wrong!

Is Windows 98 still supported by your ISP? A quick look at the adapters on Newegg says that probably nothing new has a driver that supports anything older than Windows XP or Windows 2000. Windows 98 is older than Windows XP. You have a few options. You can find an adapter that was made while 98 was still a supported operating system or you can find a wireless router and convert it into a wireless card for your computer using DD WRT. Both options will take a bit of research on your part.

The OP was looking for a wireless card.

Sorry about not paying as much attention to the question here, as I probably should have!

Next, in regards to possible options that would work with Windows 98, the following might just do the trick...

Belkin F5D7050 Wireless-G 54Mbps USB Network Adapter
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-F5D7050-Wireless-G-54Mbps-USB-Network-Adapter/3756936

Konig 54 Mbps Wireless LAN PCI Card
http://www.langtoninfo.com/showitem.aspx?isbn=5412810090112

Syba SY-PCI-WL 802.11g PCI Wireless Network Card
http://compare.ebay.com/like/290743600363?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

These options are very reasonably priced, and all will work with Windows 98.

I'm just curious, why Win98...how come u run such an old system? :)

I could be totally wrong here, but with what I've seen with people asking if something will work for a now "non supported" and "out of date" Operating System, mainly happens when they come across an old computer in ones basement, attic or just gifted to them by someone who wants to make space for themselves. I know in the past, like many, many years ago I had a couple boxes that still had Windows M.E. loaded onto them. and rather than trying to do anything with them, I simply gifted them away, as to make more space in one of my storage closets. But if the O.P. is truly using Windows 98 as their primary O.S. my hat goes off to them, super hard to find support, extremely hard to find drivers and very hard to find modern parts that would even work for it.

*Zen gives his Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) a bit hug, and thanks it for being somewhat close to modern!*

I could be totally wrong here, but with what I've seen with people asking if something will work for a now "non supported" and "out of date" Operating System, mainly happens when they come across an old computer in ones basement, attic or just gifted to them by someone who wants to make space for themselves. I know in the past, like many, many years ago I had a couple boxes that still had Windows M.E. loaded onto them. and rather than trying to do anything with them, I simply gifted them away, as to make more space in one of my storage closets. But if the O.P. is truly using Windows 98 as their primary O.S. my hat goes off to them, super hard to find support, extremely hard to find drivers and very hard to find modern parts that would even work for it.

*Zen gives his Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) a bit hug, and thanks it for being somewhat close to modern!*
Excellent point :) even tho personally I would go for DSL or xubuntu if I would come across an old system like that ;)
...and yes, respect for those who actually use Win98 and other old non-supported operating systems :)

Back