Looking for an alternative OS

DeadSpiderVenom

Okay so I do a lot of gaming, and I just dont like windows, but I cant use linux cause it wont play close to any of my games, and thats using wine, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a os that can handle Windows programs, but is not so limiting on how much of its specs you can use, or if someone can tell me where I can find a windows 7 that has been edited to be, well more open or more lightweight, im currently using windows 7 ultimate 64bit, I also have Linux Ubuntu 64bit on another HDD

Most PC games are developed only for PC. Windows uses Direct X, while Linux uses Open GL. It is hard to develop for both platforms since the amount of users is much less and Open GL is less flexible/harder to code than Direct X. If you game, stay with Windows. Mac games are also very limited despite the OS being quite popular. OS X (Mac) also runs Open GL. Mac and Linux games are mainly PC/console ports.

Mk, got any suggestions on the windows os to use, or know of any edited windows seven (not like installing then cracking the reg, I mean like it was edited to be faster yada yada, but still needs a actual code(or not im not really too picky)

I'd agree here, but it's worth trying Windows 8 if you want a different experience whilst still being able to keep your games going. I can't say I'm super sold on the latest Redmond OS, but there are definitely aspects I much prefer like the more detailed task manager utility and better native disk functions. I'm a Linux guy at heart though, with my preferred distro of choice being openSuse for everything except gaming -- that's taken care of by dual-booting with Windows 8.

The other option of course is to dual-boot your computer and have one OS for gaming (Windows 7) and run Linux when you're doing everything else. Dual-booting has come along in leaps and bounds over the last few years and is now a genuinely viable solution and furthermore, reliable.

Steam is now available for Ubuntu (and also for many other distributions if you look) so with time games will begin to appear in larger numbers, with fully native support (e.g. not running in Wine). Until it gets to the point where you could move over to Linux full-time dual-booting might offer a genuine alternative.

I'd agree here, but it's worth trying Windows 8 if you want a different experience whilst still being able to keep your games going. I can't say I'm super sold on the latest Redmond OS, but there are definitely aspects I much prefer like the more detailed task manager utility and better native disk functions. I'm a Linux guy at heart though, with my preferred distro of choice being openSuse for everything except gaming -- that's taken care of by dual-booting with Windows 8.

The other option of course is to dual-boot your computer and have one OS for gaming (Windows 7) and run Linux when you're doing everything else. Dual-booting has come along in leaps and bounds over the last few years and is now a genuinely viable solution and furthermore, reliable.

Steam is now available for Ubuntu (and also for many other distributions if you look) so with time games will begin to appear in larger numbers, with fully native support (e.g. not running in Wine). Until it gets to the point where you could move over to Linux full-time dual-booting might offer a genuine alternative.

Can you game with Wine on Linux?

It's possible to have some success with older titles but the end result is less than native performance and in many instances pretty much unplayable. Steam for Linux is one of the best gaming opportunities for gamers yet, but in order for it to really grow it needs increasing support. Then we can finally see native support for games on Linux much like we already do with Valve's Team Fortress 2, among others.

It's possible to have some success with older titles but the end result is less than native performance and in many instances pretty much unplayable. Steam for Linux is one of the best gaming opportunities for gamers yet, but in order for it to really grow it needs increasing support. Then we can finally see native support for games on Linux much like we already do with Valve's Team Fortress 2, among others.

Oh. Hopefully Linux will grow further.

Ill pass on windows 8, tried it, its okay for tablet pc's, not for normal pcs, also im not looking for the look when I say customized, I dont care what my OS looks like, I have custom themes for that, what I want is a OS that can run windows games, and not have all the extra BS that comes with widows like if you leave it on the svchost.exe's slowly start to take all your resources, or how they have like 10 of them running, or the fact that my windows is loading several programs in another screen that I do not even have connected, making me change my res to get the program, or add another monitor to my machine in order to access each time I run it, also im not a big linux fan either, as I was told the games built in linux were faster, I load up minecraft that which has a build around linux, I got worse fps on linux, linux is not ment to be a gaming OS it is ment for servers and coding, I have not really try mac, tho im thinking of it, but I cant atm, if all else fail I might revert to XP or maybe Vista, I had less issues with Vista then I do with Windows 7

Well if it does not exist I guess ill have to make it, ah well I was gonna build one anyway, was just hoping there was one I could use for now, ill release a alpha build on here, I wont have copyright issues as ill code the entire thing, including the compatibility with Windows, Linux, and Mac programs, your probably thinking im insane, also to top it off ima do it all in assembly, probably wondering why im even doing compatibility with all the major oss, simple they are all gonna be optional install, so people can use the os programs they want

Good luck, hand coding an entire OS single-handedly is a seriously in-depth task at the best of times. Trust me, I have experience of this myself and it just consumes you in no time at all. You'll never be able to create an OS with native support for everything else -- the code just isn't in the public domain and even if it is, it's covered by copyrights owned by massive tech giants like Microsoft, Oracle and Apple.

Install Windows XP :D. It's lightweight, you can remove bloatware and it's soo customizable. That's what I've done on my old PC. Games ran much much much faster on XP than 7 but that may be cause of incompatibility with old hardware and new OS. Also, I've seen some people using some kind of XP black edition, stripped down version meant for gaming, but not sure if it's legal, if you care.

I personally think Windows XP has had its day. Don't get me wrong, it was a great OS but we're now three generations removed from XP's launch and it just doesn't make sense from a support point of view any more. This day in age Windows 7 is really the oldest OS you'd want to consider (assuming Vista isn't your thing -- it certainly isn't mine!).

Those gaming seriously with Windows really should be using Windows 7, if only for software and driver support reasons.

Install Windows XP :D. It's lightweight, you can remove bloatware and it's soo customizable. That's what I've done on my old PC. Games ran much much much faster on XP than 7 but that may be cause of incompatibility with old hardware and new OS. Also, I've seen some people using some kind of XP black edition, stripped down version meant for gaming, but not sure if it's legal, if you care.

No. The support ends in less than a month.

If your going sown the Win route then I would recommend 7 - I always found XP a bit clunky and I don't like the new "Tile" design of 8 but if you were looking for an alternative OS then I think Google does one, I think its called Chrome OS - it was announced quite a way back as a project and if its anything like Chrome the browser then it will be lightning fast and they were going to do one for PC.
I'm happy at the moment with my Win 7 - whilst you cant dump most of the features that come with 7 like previous OS's if you shut them down your only using storage space (Internet Explorer is one such feature) Its easy to use and if you have ever had an XP OS then its easy to navigate as well.

Back