Looking for replacement cord for a macbook power adapter

spectrenad

Hello,
I have 3 Magsafe2 85W power adapter at home and they are all broke or about to (how surprising). I was thinking about buying some generic cable in bulk and some heatshrink tubing to fix them all. What I want to do is replace the current thin cable by a new one and solder it to the existing power block on one end and to the magnetic connector on the other.
I'm looking for something durable (maybe a braided one?) and that can be bent for carrying it around. I'm just not quite sure what type of cable would be compatible with the power going through (18.5 V DC // 85 W if I'm right). I'm looking for suggestions and tips regarding that aspect. Any help is appreciated!
Many thanks!

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend to repair that AC adapter or the cable, especially if it has any exposed wiring. Last time I tried that on a Dell laptop that belonged to a family friend, the repair fried the Motherboard and caused it to smoke big time! I had to call Dell out to my Home and fix it onsite. I've been fixing computers for 30 yrs. and have an expert soldering license and I still messed it up.:'(
For the $50-$150 it costs to buy a new AC adapter and cable, I certainly wouldn't risk a very expensive $1,000 Mac computer on this type of repair. Even if your Mac is new and is in the 1 yr. warranty period and you fry your laptop, attempting that kind of repair and failing will automatically void your factory warranty with Apple, and you'll be looking at several hundred dollars to fix your laptop and recovery from it. I definitely recommend against doing that.

Good luck,
PCTEACHER05

Back