Lost my Windows media player

circusboy01

what dumb thing did I do? Can I fix it?. For some reason I no longer have Windows media player on my PC.not really sure how long it's been gone, but I know I had it, not too long ago..

I've tried to download it again, using different browsers and sites. But to no avail.

one site even told me, that I already had a newer version. But I don't. I've been to the start menu, to all programs, accessories. It's not there. I printed it in the start up search window, and got no items matched your search. I did find it in computer, C- Drive, programs. When I opened it it becomes many separate components of Windows media player. I was able to get it on my desktop. playlist and all. Don't remember which component I used. But it doesn't really matter. The songs wouldn't play anyway. I'd give you more information if I had more information.

Do your stuff guys. You haven't let me down yet Ray.

Did I lose it because I got my PC back to factory settings, one too many times. :)

Mike 1959;

Just as I thought, it didn't work. Arrow came down, got keep discard, clicked on keep.
At this point there is usually a countdown. This time there was none. It was ready to click on the open, instantaneously. Which I did. Nothing happened.

After a while the page changed to a site with a variety of WMP downloads. Most of them were for XP. But there was one for 64 bit. I began its download. Everything started working as it should. It was downloading like normal. All of the sudden I got
( paraphrasing) you already have a newer version installed. It is impossible to download this version.

I just had a thought. What if I went to my computer, and deleted WMP in programs.
Do you think I would be able to download the player then?

Seems to me that that might work. Please let me know what you think. Ray

Here are some things you can try. If it's XP, you can try going into Add/Remove Program in the Control Panel, then click on Add/Remove Windows Component on the left. Uncheck the box next to Windows Media Player. Then go the Microsoft & download the latest that works on your system.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-media-player

In Windows 7, select Programs & Features in the Control Panel. On the left, select & click on Turn Windows Features on/off. In the new window that pops up, click the "+" by Media Features. Uncheck the box by Windows Media Player then restart computer. Go through the same steps but this time, check the box next the Windows Media Player.

Here are some things you can try. If it's XP, you can try going into Add/Remove Program in the Control Panel, then click on Add/Remove Windows Component on the left. Uncheck the box next to Windows Media Player. Then go the Microsoft & download the latest that works on your system.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-media-player

In Windows 7, select Programs & Features in the Control Panel. On the left, select & click on Turn Windows Features on/off. In the new window that pops up, click the "+" by Media Features. Uncheck the box by Windows Media Player then restart computer. Go through the same steps but this time, check the box next the Windows Media Player.

I'm using Windows 7. Did everything you said. When finished, iwent to the start menu, and there it was. Dragged it to my desk top. Right clicked it to show menu, clicked open. Nothing happened WMP did not open. I'm hoping that the fact that I can see it once again in the start menu is a good sign. Hoping that will tell you what I have to do next Thank You Ray.

When I right click on the shortcut for Windows Media Player & select properties, I see the following in the Target box:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:1

And in the Start In box, I have this:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player"

When I right click on the shortcut for Windows Media Player & select properties, I see the following in the Target box:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:1

And in the Start In box, I have this:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player"

In the target box I get":Windows Media Player\wmplayer exe"/prefetch 1
Blue Background/White letters'
My start box is the same as your's
Ray

Here's a link to a Microsoft Fix It that describes this media player problem. I've had mixed results with Microsoft Fix It but sometimes it does the trick.

Thanks Mizzou, microsoft fix it worked.. All it took was a few clicks of the mouse,and about a minute or less of my time.

Mike and Rabbit1 Thanks for your suggestions. In other situations I'm sure they would have worked Ray

Back