Lost Sound unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

backdoorman69

I have lost the sound on my XP machine......not all sound, if I pop in a cd it auto plays with Windows media player, however I cannot hear any sound from the web?

I have checked all drivers and devices in device manager and supposedly all are working correctly......yeah right.......I am at a total loss. I can't to any volume controls (luckily WMP has volume and that can be controlled) or sound mixer of any sort......there was at one time a small speaker icon that I would go to to mute and contrl the sound level and if I double cliked it, a large mixer of sorts would appear.....I have nothing now.

Thnx in advance.

Specs

You will have to reinstall your sound driver. What are your computer's specs?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Vectra
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~996 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. IP.01.07US, 4/11/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.2

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 69.32 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB

Anything else needed??

Re-install the sound drivers
Or a better terminology, update all your drivers
Yes you can remove existing Sound drivers first

That Vectra is 7 years old. All I could find on HP's support site was a Vectra VL400, with no sound driver listed. Does this computer have a sound card installed?

That Vectra is 7 years old. All I could find on HP's support site was a Vectra VL400, with no sound driver listed. Does this computer have a sound card installed?

It is a VL400..............

Yes it does according to Sisoft Sandra....yes it is 7 yrs old and runs 3 versions of Photoshop and also Lightroom2 like a gem (a little slow of course but it doesn't crash).....it has real nice speaker in the front of the box also......and it plays CD's fine.......just no sound off the web or when rebooting the machine, the reboot noise I do not miss, but I do miss having sound for those nice cards my family sends me.

Re-install the sound drivers
Or a better terminology, update all your drivers
Yes you can remove existing Sound drivers first

I have went thru every driver listed under audio and tried to update and was told I had the best drivers available...so I guess now I need to uninstall each one and re-install .......one at a time.

1. Uninstall the drivers from Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel of Windows.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run Driver Sweeper*, select the drivers that you have uninstalled and click Clean button.
4. Install the new drivers.

* For Windows Vista users, please run Driver Sweeper in administrator mode.
Right mouse click Driver Sweeper shortcut and click Run as administrator.

To download and install Driver Sweeper, please click HERE. (direct link)
Save DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe file on the hard disk.
Run DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe.

It is a VL400..............

Yes it does according to Sisoft Sandra....yes it is 7 yrs old and runs 3 versions of Photoshop and also Lightroom2 like a gem (a little slow of course but it doesn't crash).....it has real nice speaker in the front of the box also......and it plays CD's fine.......just no sound off the web or when rebooting the machine, the reboot noise I do not miss, but I do miss having sound for those nice cards my family sends me.

You will probably have to open up the computer and check for any name or numbers on the card. Also, the sound card may be going bad. I have a cabinet full of old sound cards

1. Uninstall the drivers from Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel of Windows.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run Driver Sweeper*, select the drivers that you have uninstalled and click Clean button.
4. Install the new drivers.

* For Windows Vista users, please run Driver Sweeper in administrator mode.
Right mouse click Driver Sweeper shortcut and click Run as administrator.

To download and install Driver Sweeper, please click HERE. (direct link)
Save DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe file on the hard disk.
Run DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe.

Shall give it a try. Thanx

You will probably have to open up the computer and check for any name or numbers on the card. Also, the sound card may be going bad. I have a cabinet full of old sound cards

Part of the MOBO.....so I prob need to start looking at a newer box and just move drives to new box.
Gonna give the above atry first....

Thanx also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back