Lots of ping when gaming

I live with one other person, and we are both wirelessly connected to the same router. I can't play a lot of games without experiencing up to 900 ping at times because the other person is doing something as simple as watching a video on youtube. I'm new to wireless internets, will simply getting faster internet help with this horrifying explosion of latency? If not, what can I do, because 900 ping is absolutely unacceptable.

Hi, what router do you have... some have something called QoS or Quality of Service settings to make it so you can give one device more bandwidth then the other devices.

Here's an example on my router:

Amped-R10000-QoS-Settings-500.PNG

does your router have something like this to where you can give yourself more B/W???

That sucks... :( can you get alternate firmware for your router? or mabye there's an upgrade to fix it?

if not you may want to get a better router if you can afford it that would have the QoS setting.

or if you feel like it's the ISP contact them about it... how do your speedtests look?

Speed tests are fine
2347095525.png

But whenever my roommate and I are doing something at the same time, the whole thing seems to fall apart.
I guess I'll go for a new router.

And have you done everything you can on both pcs like virus scans, network optimizations, dhcp release/renew, stuff like that???

if all that checks ok , than yeah it's time for a new router...

Back