Low profile graphics card options

Tboner

I just bought an HP ENVY h8-1418 Desktop.

I would like to know the best Low Profile graphics card to replace the integrated HD graphics that came with unit. Some important specs listed might help you give me some options I hope:

1 PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0 for i5 and i7 Ivy Bridge processors, all others Gen 2.0)

Processor: Intel Core i5 3330
  • TDP: 77W
  • Operating speed: Up to 3.0 GHz (up to 3.2 GHz turbo)
  • Number of cores: 4
  • Socket: LGA 1155
  • Bus speed: DMI (Direct Media Interface) - 5.0 GT/s
Memory - 8GB

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Integrated graphics (DX11)

Power Supply
Internal 460W (100V-240V)

What is your budget? Also why do you need a low profile card?
I did some research and and I think someone recommended using a low profile card. Maybe it is the way my CPU is configured with limited space? Not sure. Budget is not a concern as long as I can play BF3 or the like.

Can you open the case and take a picture for me. I can judge whether you need a low profile card or not. Low profile cards are not very powerful and wont play BF3 well. Edit: Also what resolution will you be gaming at?

Can you open the case and take a picture for me. I can judge whether you need a low profile card or not. Low profile cards are not very powerful and wont play BF3 well. Edit: Also what resolution will you be gaming at?

Yes, as soon as I get home this evening I will open her up a snap a photo. I will probably play with medium to high settings if that is possible.

Ok at what resolution?

c03246635.jpg

Does this give you any help. This was the standard photo for motherboard

Not really. Can you open the case and snap a photo? But looking at the first motherboard pick you sent, it looks to me like you can get an card you would like. It doesnt seem like you need a LP card, but just snap a photo so that I am sure.

Not really. Can you open the case and snap a photo? But looking at the first motherboard pick you sent, it looks to me like you can get an card you would like. It doesnt seem like you need a LP card, but just snap a photo so that I am sure.

No problem. I will do that tonight. What about resolution? What do you recommend?

Well, you will need quite a hefty graphics card to run BF3 well at 1080P, but that is kind of the new standard. Does your monitor even support 1080P? Your power supply is really the biggest problem here.

Well, you will need quite a hefty graphics card to run BF3 well at 1080P, but that is kind of the new standard. Does your monitor even support 1080P? Your power supply is really the biggest problem here.

My power supply is 460W. How much should I have....750W?

And yes, my HP monitor is running [FONT=Arial]Full HD 1920 X 1080 resolution[/FONT]

My power supply is 460W. How much should I have....750W?
That is actually enough since your CPU is only a i5 3330. The minimum requirements for the GTX 660ti is 450W. You are in the clear, but would you be willing to buy a new PSU? I think you should up the PSU to 550W just to be safe. Plus when you have a good GPU under the hood, you want a reliable power supply. This GPU will play BF3 at max settings at 1080P: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130809. That is probably the best GPU you can get that will be supported by the 460W PSU. Make sure you have 2 6 pin connectors available though. If you get an upgraded PSU though, you can get a over-clocked GPU.

That is actually enough since your CPU is only a i5 3330. The minimum requirements for the GTX 660ti is 450W. You are in the clear, but would you be willing to buy a new PSU? I think you should up the PSU to 550W just to be safe. Plus when you have a good GPU under the hood, you want a reliable power supply. This GPU will play BF3 at max settings at 1080P: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130809. That is probably the best GPU you can get that will be supported by the 460W PSU. Make sure you have 2 6 pin connectors available though. If you get an upgraded PSU though, you can get a over-clocked GPU.

Once I get pictures, we can pick up conversation later. Thank you for all of your help so far!

That PSU will be a bit over kill for you. However, just by looking at your pictures. Majority of PSU's you look at will probably not fit inside your case. To be sure, make sure to measure out the dimensions of the case before purchasing Here are some power supplies that will be sufficient and affordable.

Corsair CX600 (69.99)
Antec BP550 Plus 550W (64.99)

Alright. You are fine in terms of space. There is no need for a Low profile card. The only issue now is power. The 660ti is pushing your PSUs limits. But I would recommend the GTX 660ti from EVGA (the one I posted before). I would recommend getting a better PSU just to be safe also.

Edit: I just saw what Blkfx1 posted, I agree with him 100%. Make sure it fits before you but it. But I would definitely look into a Gold PSU since you have that much horse power under the hood. Also, a modular power supply will reduce cable clutter since your PC is an HP and doesnt have places to hide wires.

That PSU will be a bit over kill for you. However, just by looking at your pictures. Majority of PSU's you look at will probably not fit inside your case. To be sure, make sure to measure out the dimensions of the case before purchasing Here are some power supplies that will be sufficient and affordable.

Corsair CX600 (69.99)
Antec BP550 Plus 550W (64.99)

Wow....thank you for pointing that out and these are much cheaper!

Alright. You are fine in terms of space. There is no need for a Low profile card. The only issue now is power. The 660ti is pushing your PSUs limits. But I would recommend the GTX 660ti from EVGA (the one I posted before). I would recommend getting a better PSU just to be safe also.

Edit: I just saw what Blkfx1 posted, I agree with him 100%. Make sure it fits before you but it. But I would definitely look into a Gold PSU since you have that much horse power under the hood. Also, a modular power supply will reduce cable clutter since your PC is an HP and doesnt have places to hide wires.

Thank you for all of your help! I have a much understanding of what actions to take now.

Back