AMD's Ryzen 8700G APU features an 8-core Zen 4 CPU with integrated Radeon 780M graphics

Scorpus

Staff member
What just happened? AMD has announced a range of new CPUs, including Zen 4 APUs for the AM5 platform, and new processors for AM4. Starting with the Zen 4 APUs, these are labeled the Ryzen 8000G series. Ideally, they should be the 7000G series as they belong to the same CPU architecture generation as other Zen 4 parts, which are Ryzen 7000. However, this isn't the first time AMD has increased the product name for APUs, as seen with the 2000G and 3000G series.

The top APU models are straightforward: the Ryzen 7 8700G features an 8-core Zen 4 design with Radeon 780M graphics, a 12 compute unit RDNA3 design. It offers up to a 5.1 GHz boost clock, 16MB of L3 cache plus 8MB of L2 for a total of 24MB cache. All these APUs have a 65W TDP. The Ryzen 5 8600G reduces this to six Zen 4 CPU cores and Radeon 760M graphics, which includes 8 compute units.

All new APUs are based on AMD's monolithic Hawk Point die, also used for Ryzen 8040 series mobile APUs, a refresh of the Phoenix die used for 7040 series mobile APUs.

The Ryzen 5 8500G is slightly different, utilizing a mix of Zen 4 and Zen 4c cores. It's a six-core model, split into two Zen 4 cores and four Zen 4c cores. Zen 4c is a smaller, more efficient core, retaining the same architecture features as full Zen 4. Alongside this, there's Radeon 740M graphics, offering four compute units of RDNA3. The Ryzen 3 8300G, a further reduced model, will only be available in pre-built systems.

The new APUs will be available on January 31st, priced at $330 for the 8700G, $230 for the 8600G, and $180 for the 8500G. The 8500G will match the price of the Ryzen 5 7500F, the 8600G that of the 7600, and the Ryzen 7 8700G that of the Ryzen 7 7700. These prices are MSRPs, though current retail pricing closely aligns with these figures.

We expect these new chips to become niche products. With half the L3 cache of regular Zen 4 desktop CPUs in the Raphael series and lower boost frequencies, the 8000G APUs will probably be slower for gaming when paired with discrete graphics. Thus, those intending to build a system with discrete graphics might be better off with other Zen 4 parts, like the Ryzen 5 7600 at the same price as the 8600G, or the 7800X3D, which is currently $70 more expensive than the 8700G.

The integrated RDNA3 GPU in these products will be significantly faster than the 2 compute units offered with Raphael CPUs, but still only suitable for low-quality setting gaming at low resolutions.

For example, AMD claims only 60 FPS in modern titles using 1080p low settings with AFMF frame generation. The experience in games like Alan Wake 2, with a native frame rate of 26 FPS boosted to 62 FPS through driver-based frame generation, is unlikely to be satisfactory. These products are more suited for games like Dota 2, League of Legends, and older titles like Grand Theft Auto V.

A major question with these APUs is whether they are a better option than a regular CPU paired with a low-end discrete GPU. Historically, we've found the CPU + discrete GPU pairing to be preferable, but the 8000G series' performance and value remain to be seen.

However, it's positive that AMD is launching new APUs at the same price as equivalent CPU models, a more favorable strategy than in the past. The previous APU line, the 500G series, had the 5700G at $360 and the 5600G at $260, a $60 premium over the 5700X and 5600, respectively. Price parity makes more sense, letting buyers choose between the likely faster CPU performance of non-APU models or the integrated graphics capabilities of the APU models, without the added factor of a price premium for iGPU functionality.

New CPUs coming to the (old) AM4 platform

AMD is also launching four new AM4 processors. The Ryzen 7 5700X3D is a 5800X3D with a 400 MHz lower clock speed, maintaining the same eight-core Zen 3 design, 96MB L3 cache, and 105W TDP, but with a 9% lower boost frequency at 4.1 GHz.

Priced at $250, it could be a compelling option for AM4 owners, given the 5800X3D's typical price range of $320 to $350, making the 5700X3D over 20 percent cheaper.

The Ryzen 5 5700 is a 5700G APU with the integrated graphics part disabled, previously released as an OEM-only part but now available as a boxed processor. It retains the same 8-core Zen 3 CPU design with 16MB of L3 cache and PCIe 3.0 capabilities, the same 4.6 GHz boost clock, and 65W TDP, but without an iGPU.

Priced at $175, it's $25 less than the Ryzen 7 5700X or 5700G. It will be interesting to evaluate its gaming performance given its reduced L3 cache capacity compared to the 5700X and Ryzen 5 5600, which is currently $150. Whether the extra two cores are worth an additional $25 over the 5600, especially with reduced L3 cache, is debatable and may not be the best choice for gaming, depending on the workload.

Two new APUs are also being released. The Ryzen 5 5600GT is a 5600G with a 200 MHz higher boost clock and 300 MHz lower base clock, and the 5500GT is a 5600G with the same boost clock but a 300 MHz lower base clock. Both have integrated graphics enabled and are designed for entry-level systems, priced at $140 for the 5600GT and $125 for the 5500GT.

All these processors, the 8000G series, and the new AM4 processors will be available on January 31st, making February a busy month for reviews. This is especially true as Intel is expected to launch more 14th-gen CPUs as well.

These Zen parts are likely being released to utilize remaining Zen 3 silicon, as they are essentially different bins of already released products. The 5700X3D seems like a reasonably compelling processor for those seeking a drop-in upgrade on AM4, while the other models appear quite niche.

Permalink to story.

"The 5700X3D seems like a reasonably compelling processor for those seeking a drop-in upgrade on AM4"
Reasonably compelling to anyone living under a rock. Those with AM4 who wanted a 3d upgrade could have gotten a 5800x3d multiple times at the same or lower price then the 5700x3d is launching for. Who is still looking to invest money into an 8 year old platform at this point?

"The 5700X3D seems like a reasonably compelling processor for those seeking a drop-in upgrade on AM4"
Reasonably compelling to anyone living under a rock. Those with AM4 who wanted a 3d upgrade could have gotten a 5800x3d multiple times at the same or lower price then the 5700x3d is launching for. Who is still looking to invest money into an 8 year old platform at this point?

Believe me, there must be millions waiting for the right moment for a cheap upgrade.

millions who are waiting for a cheap upgrade and DIDNT grab a 5800x3d for $229 when it was on sale but WILL pay $250 for a slower version of said chip a year later?

Yeah.....I cant say I agree there.

When and where was it $229? $270 was the lowest I saw it within the past year or so and the 5700X3D still undercuts that minimum price. There are loads of people still on AM4 who haven't upgraded to a 5800X3D and this is another reasonable choice for them.

When and where was it $229? $270 was the lowest I saw it within the past year or so and the 5700X3D still undercuts that minimum price. There are loads of people still on AM4 who haven't upgraded to a 5800X3D and this is another reasonable choice for them.
It was $229 at microcenter on black Friday but it was part of a motherboard bundle.

Edit: I'd like to point out that the people looking for a cheap upgrade don't always have the money when things are on sale so there are plenty of people looking for A product that is cheap all the time

Last edited:
millions who are waiting for a cheap upgrade and DIDNT grab a 5800x3d for $229 when it was on sale but WILL pay $250 for a slower version of said chip a year later?

Yeah.....I cant say I agree there.
You are taking a very limited view if you think this price is representative of the scenario across countries. Here the lowest price for the 5800x3D was around $380-400.

And, as the other person said above, not everyone always has money left over to buy exactly when a promotion happens.

AMD should release something in the 30W range. There's a huge gap between the 10W ultra-slow Intels (N100) and the 65W proper desktops. Please please please. No, making "OEM-only" cr@p won't help.

Will be interesting if the 8700g numbers really can hit 1650/1060 performance numbers.

DDR5 makes this happen. So much more bandwidth.

I'm guessing it helps a lot if you have a very fast memory kit, although most probably wouldn't use anything higher end with these chips.

On the plus side very positive for future notebooks using AMD's APUs and DDR5.

You are taking a very limited view if you think this price is representative of the scenario across countries. Here the lowest price for the 5800x3D was around $380-400.

And, as the other person said above, not everyone always has money left over to buy exactly when a promotion happens.
In Australia it has never dipped below $549 AUD which is a rip... and that converted to USD = 368.65 US Dollar at current exchange rates.

In Australia it has never dipped below $549 AUD which is a rip... and that converted to USD = 368.65 US Dollar at current exchange rates.
US prices are sans tax, nearly all US states have tax between 8-10%. Our prices include GST. Take 11% off our price for a fairer comparison. But having said that often our prices are far higher than currency exchange and tax account for especially GPU's. Also it's rare we get the big discounts the US gets. Often US price cuts are susbsidised by massive prices in the rest of the world.

Nah, Strix Point or Arrow Lake for me. Strix Point with Zen 5 and RDNA3.5 and support for much faster DDR5 to feed the iGPU bandwidth will be much better.

The 8000 series seems really pointless to me for gaming. You could get 12400F coupled with an A580 and get 2X the performance for just a little more than the 8700G, which would ultimately be saved in the cost of the motherboard. There are other options too like a R5 5600 coupled with an RX 6600 that still get you about 2X the gaming performance and would land around the same price point. If you are just trying to get on the AM5 platform, you are better off with the R5 7600 for $199 and you'd still have some left over for a GPU, go with a used A580 or a 5600 XT. The 8600G might be an okay choice if you are just trying to get on AM5, but the gaming power of that part is cut down considerably from the 8700G's 780M. You are losing too much on the CPU end of things to justify something like a GPU upgrade later.

The 8000 series seems really pointless to me for gaming.
Some people want to build a compact desktop, whether it's for the footprint, portability or just sheer minimalism. Which means no graphics card (as they are relatively huge) or even a SFX PSU that would support one. Some of those people also want to game to an extent.

I would just caution them that the 8-core is likely going to run too hot with a compact cooler for it to make sense in such a build.

Some people want to build a compact desktop, whether it's for the footprint, portability or just sheer minimalism. Which means no graphics card (as they are relatively huge) or even a SFX PSU that would support one. Some of those people also want to game to an extent.
I'm sure there are, but it is pretty niche. You can build some pretty small desktops with a budget GPU. There are cases and of course the ITX boards for that too. Now if you want a mini PC sure, but most people are not building those themselves.

I have been big fan of APU's since they launched, I play mainly older or lighter games so the gpu was never a big deal for me and with the pricing on GPU's now I can't justify spending $400 to render the same image on a screen that looks slightly better and has some more FPS. These 8000G's are looking awesome for a nice upgrade all around from the AM4 APU's, the 5600g was def the sweet spot over the last two years on the APU line. They have had the 4600g at just $99 for the last year and that thing is insane bang for buck same GPU as the 5600G but Zen 2 vs Zen 3 so the CPU takes a big hit. 5600g at $150 has been decent bang for buck for light gaming. I like having just one big quest cooler in a system and only having to use 400-500 watt PSU's for nice quiet systems that never use more than 150-200 watts of power. Also building small systems and not having to try to cram a GPU in there.

I'm sure there are, but it is pretty niche. You can build some pretty small desktops with a budget GPU. There are cases and of course the ITX boards for that too. Now if you want a mini PC sure, but most people are not building those themselves.

What is the power requirement of the least effective dGPU for a SFF..?

Back